Snakes on the Isle of Man ?

Ohaye

I understand snakes aren't native to the island but some may have been introduced from England. Has anyone seen any or heard of any reports of them in the wild, Grass snakes or adders ? Also interested to hear if there are any local herpers and if it's a worthwhile hobby on the Island.

8000 years ago the island was still connected to the UK by a landbridge, so quite a few species are actually still quite 'native' here despite being found predominately in the UK these days.

I've seen both an adder and a grass snake, several decades ago mind. I'm pretty sure if people did a detailed search they might still spot them here.

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

8000 years ago the island was still connected to the UK by a landbridge, so quite a few species are actually still quite 'native' here despite being found predominately in the UK these days.

I've seen both an adder and a grass snake, several decades ago mind. I'm pretty sure if people did a detailed search they might still spot them here.

Very interesting, can you remember where you saw them ? @Albert Tatlock

When they "straightened out" Brandish Corner (2007?) I'm sure they had to relocate some snakes or lizards from the affected area before the major works could take place?

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Lizards. I'm pretty sure that officially there are no snakes here. The MWT link ND posted is straight from here https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/reptiles/grass-snake and not specific to the IOM.

I just googled the question and that was just one of the search results. Not sure why they feel the need to link it to the IOM then...

The manx wildlife trust is kind of part of the wildlife trusts group, they'll have just used the same website template to make things easier and not really corrected it properly. 

Incidentally, on the subject of the manx wildlife trust, they are one of the groups registered with the coop, so you can specify that the money earned with your coop card can go to them. 

Archived