Lies, damned lies & experts

Chris Thomas

Economic Affairs Unit in Cabinet Office is the principal producer and collator of official statistics in the Isle of Man. See https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/economic-affairs-division/ for some further information.

This topic is offered in Manxforums.com as a thread for clarification and consideration in respect of these statistics.

I will try to respond when I can.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good opportunity for some more in depth engagement Chris, rather than the limitations of ol’ Twitter!

I think the biggest issue is ‘feel’ rather than stats - which don’t tend to read too badly.  I was looking over at Ramsey town today, from the shipyard. It looks tired, run down, unloved, with shabby buildings and building plots, one of which has now lost two potential tenants for a development because of the hold ups on the demolition of the old Farmers Combine building. 

The other ‘feel’ is an impending threat from the new status of the UK and its likely bullish approach to attracting economic growth. And further to that, our own lack of potential growth on the scale that is really needed. We need another ‘finance sector’ type catalyst. Just can’t see where it is yet. 

Not really statistics but I'd very much like to know from a real representative of the people, how much money has the Isle of Man government received each year in 'Toilet Tax' since it was introduced, and what exactly has this money been spent on? Absorbed into the MUA budget is not an acceptable answer.

I'd also like to know how much of the MEA debt was paid off in the each of the 5 years before the introduction of the 'toilet tax', and how much has been paid off per year in each of the years following its introduction.

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Not really statistics but I'd very much like to know from a real representative of the people, how much money has the Isle of Man government received each year in 'Toilet Tax' since it was introduced, and what exactly has this money been spent on? Absorbed into the MUA budget is not an acceptable answer.

I'd also like to know how much of the MEA debt was paid off in the each of the 5 years before the introduction of the 'toilet tax', and how much has been paid off per year in each of the years following its introduction.

Good luck...

I have to agree with Derek on this, statistics mean little at the point at which people feel that they are living in a place which is going to the dogs. Apart from the Douglas Prom project, (which I can't for the life of me understand why it has been allowed to be scheduled for a handful of workers to take four years to complete) Douglas has an unloved feel about it. The Summerland site is a bloody disgrace, as are the Villiers, Lord Street and Castle Mona sites and the shambolic feel of some other parts of the town. The vibrancy has long gone, leaving a feeling of impending doom. Couple this with the scourge of crappy employment contracts, a growing heroin problem, the DHSS crisis (much worse than the UK in its impact), the prospects of less inward investment and people start not to feel too good about the place.  

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Could you not put a FOI request in?

18 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You have to be careful by all accounts. If you don't word the request exactly, they'll fob you off with the least amount of information. Pretty sure there was an example of a FOI request on one of the other topics

25 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why should you. A minister of the Isle of Man Government is with you on the thread. A phone call away and Chris could have the answers for you.

That said, I would ask Chris if he has read the Tynwald Select Committee report into the MEA. If he has (and I am sure he will have) then he is one of the few of his Tynwald colleagues who have.

52 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The accounts are here - you could just look yourself https://www.manxutilities.im/about-us/annual-reports-financial-statements/annual-reports-financial-statements/

Archived