Chester st incident

finlo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so hard to understand how someone can do something like this. I mean I can't stick a pin in myself because you know it hurts etc. Ive really struggled with mental health issues and been really low and although have never considered this sort of thing I can so understand if someone is not as strong situations can tip you over the edge ...I remember when much younger walking in on a uncle hanging from a banister having hung himself. Obviously planned and thought out as letterbox blocked up along with curtains closed etc doors locked and sheets all locked together etc. how low and desperate does someone get and what triggers it all. so very very sad . :-( . I'm obviously surmising what's caused it but wouldn't be surprised if the poor guy had mental health issues.  RIP your now at peace god bless   

1 minute ago, Manxberry said:

It's funny you say 'guy' because we all assume it's a man. It's sadly the case that men are much more at risk of it than women. There is no safety net for single men. I understand why someone can be brought that low, especially here. 

I'm not assuming . But I agree it's very hard for single men due to the perception a guy can't show weakness etc. I'm very open to people about my mental health issues as it helped me and helps remove stigma about it. 1 in 4 people are going to suffer from mental health issues ..! Sometime in their  life . Scary and so sad 

7 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

Back to the mental health thread and sadly it isn’t. The support for people here who are experiencing problems is appalling and sadly I do understand how someone can do this before they manage to actually get help. Very sad. RIP. Hopefully they are now at peace from whatever was troubling them as sad as that may seem. 

I can also understand totally as been  so low but inwardly luckily I'm strong and didn't succumb . But it was a close call truthfully ! . Knowing the chances of help in the short term are near zero..i.e. In days etc . You know that if been under the service for any length of time so you just don't bother with them as rejection , which it actually is  , is hard to take . No where to turn too is a real problem. Luckily I had some great friends but even then you  feel guilty as you don't want to bother  anyone. Then there is people who have no one and there is lots out there . No it's got to be looked at as a matter of urgency .

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I'm not assuming . But I agree it's very hard for single men due to the perception a guy can't show weakness etc. 

Not just single men - at the time I had my mental health struggles (they don't go away completely but amazing support and self awareness help) I was and still am very stereotyped - married, mortgaged, parent, outwardly fairly successful in a respected profession - the root cause of mine I believe came from work (subsequently changed) but I learned and feel that pressure to succeed and appear to be successful can have huge negatives on your mental well being if this is something that school grades and societies trajectory have you mapped for in a small community - this is massively magnified on the island where people know your name, family, background, schooling etc etc etc.and pre judge individuals layering the pressures.

just a snapshot of my experience.

33 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Not just single men - at the time I had my mental health struggles (they don't go away completely but amazing support and self awareness help) I was and still am very stereotyped - married, mortgaged, parent, outwardly fairly successful in a respected profession - the root cause of mine I believe came from work (subsequently changed) but I learned and feel that pressure to succeed and appear to be successful can have huge negatives on your mental well being if this is something that school grades and societies trajectory have you mapped for in a small community - this is massively magnified on the island where people know your name, family, background, schooling etc etc etc.and pre judge individuals layering the pressures.

just a snapshot of my experience.

Your so right in your observations and analysis . Add to the mix anxiety and you have the perfect storm. And totally I can relate to having to live up to my fathers standing in the community which I never was going to be able to do which was the start of my issues . And totally not just single men your right and equally not just men of course . Mental health is a real problem over here and sadly not getting any easier to get the help that's needed . I'm so glad you got through it and in a better place my friend . Onwards and upwards right ? 

22 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

I’m glad you’re here to post. This island has lost its values as the thread on the social attitudes survey shows. We’re great at spending £20m on prom projects, and millions on new buses and a range of other unessential items to big up public sector management teams sense of their own self worth but we clearly don't give a flying fuck about providing support services that people actually need or which make a difference to people’s lives. With health, education, and social services everyone surveyed seems to think they have gone to shit reading those survey results. We’re running an island for the people who work for government not the people who pay for government. It’s an absolute disgrace. 

The surveys are not worth the effort that is done to produce them.

When you have people who are blind, unable to write coherently, don't have a computer, have given up bothering about Government, don't have the time to do them, are unable to understand them, and taking all that in, if 100% do not participate, then the Government will syphon off what values they want to represent and therefore will NEVER BE a true representation of the total public.

I have a very low opinion of the Government, mainly because they do not wish to discuss OPENLY about 5G as also Smart meters and what safety standards are in place or have been done or in this case, NOT BEEN DONE, but thats for another page.

Statistics can be bent to whatever angle a person wants and the Government use this to their advantage. Unfortunately for them, people are not as dumb as the Government Yes Men think they are and its only a matter of time before protests begin as like that on the 25th of this month.

They cannot hide the truth forever and in what you say DA, support must be given or otherwise people will become very p***ed off with the way the Government do things. Concealment, covert discussions and reliance on shareholder industry friends are some of the words being banded about regards Government and agree with you that this is a disgrace. Cabinet Office? More like Handshake Office!

I was very lucky that when I actually imploded (carefully chosen word) I had amazing support around me of family and friends - plus one very senior colleague who essentially appeared from nowhere and was just amazing - sharing unnecessarily her own issues with no judgement or knowledge of "me" and basically held my hand towards help sources that she had previously utilised. She still checks in on me every now and again as I do with her - I don't need to meet for coffee or speak on a regular basis but whenever our paths cross in an M&S queue or Victoria St lunch hour a look and a "How are things ????" is enough.

6 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I was very lucky that when I actually imploded (carefully chosen word) I had amazing support around me of family and friends - plus one very senior colleague who essentially appeared from nowhere and was just amazing - sharing unnecessarily her own issues with no judgement or knowledge of "me" and basically held my hand towards help sources that she had previously utilised. She still checks in on me every now and again as I do with her - I don't need to meet for coffee or speak on a regular basis but whenever our paths cross in an M&S queue or Victoria St lunch hour a look and a "How are things ????" is enough.

So happy for you that you had that one person and I'm sure a few more..so makes all the difference knowing someone's on your side. Dealing with that seemingly isolation is so so tough ..I'm alone so it's made it really hard but one particular friend every week would meet me and to this day we still do when possible .blessed to have had him to help me 

Archived