Chester st incident

finlo

5 minutes ago, display name said:

Social media is fine.  Stupid is the problem.

I was shocked and saddened by the comments and requests on Police Media page . I witnessed the results of the 'fall' and its affected me since. Not a pretty sight and feeling so sad that someone went as far as that. Also the family and children etc left behind. I did put my two penny's worth in to tell people to back off etc as there was no way the Police could or should have done anymore than they did. It's the world we live in sadly !.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WTF said:

i'm not sure it ever hits suddenly,  i think people finally  give up or lose the strength to hold  on which they may have been struggling with doing  for years.    i guess the common causes are relationships breaking down,   money,   or your own health/pain .    then you get  suicide bombers but i don't group them in the same category.

It doesn't hit suddenly for sure for many . As you get older the ability to fight back from issues is compromised for sure by troubles that you've had to deal with in previous years . It's almost your ability to bounce back gets eroded by stuff you've had to deal with. Of course this differs greatly from person to person but the end result is the same . A feeling of emptiness and no light at the end of the tunnel means if someone isn't strong and doesn't have  has support bad thoughts take over ... We all need a purpose and a goal in life and a reason to fight .What you see everyday in a person is so different often to what's going on underneath . I'm a very friendly and always chatty person but that's what people want to see and in a strange way you are actually reaching out for friendship and even a partner. I know that's what I'm always doing. Not so much the partner but just to belong and feel wanted etc..It's tough so when you see someone and there manner or personality trait doesn't seem to add up or they are not as they are normaly please please take the trouble  to engage ! But don't ask are they ok ! They for sure won't be but just the small talk of joining them for a coffee/ tea can make all the difference. We all just want to be happy and feel we are contributing and belonging to society . And most importantly a future and a self worth  

Over the years I have known four people who have committed suicide, three of them were the last people in the world you would have guessed had problems they must have been bottling their feelings up whilst putting on a good face, the last was a bit fragile but still very unexpected.   I think talking helps, it does not matter who to just relieving the pressure and despair.   I feel for this family.

I knew one who was always a little strange. He used to say things like he was going to poison his wife and kids, but always with an unfunny laugh at the end of it and a disturbing look in his eye. One day I passed him on the street heading for his car. He was carrying a vacuum cleaner and said he was going to clean out a lock up garage to rent it out. He smiled and seemed to be in his usual humour which was never full of the joys of spring. Next day he was found dead in the garage in his car having attached the vacuum hose to the exhaust. Was quite chilling to think I had chatted to him just beforehand while he was carrying the means to kill himself in his hands.

2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I think those at the end have a sense of clarity and purpose about what they’re doing. 

I'm convinced you are right, otherwise it would be difficult to go through with the act. Of course, some might argue that clarity of purpose in such an enterprise is mental derangement, although depending on the circumstances I wouldn't necessarily agree.

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

I knew one who was always a little strange. He used to say things like he was going to poison his wife and kids, but always with an unfunny laugh at the end of it and a disturbing look in his eye. One day I passed him on the street heading for his car. He was carrying a vacuum cleaner and said he was going to clean out a lock up garage to rent it out. He smiled and seemed to be in his usual humour which was never full of the joys of spring. Next day he was found dead in the garage in his car having attached the vacuum hose to the exhaust. Was quite chilling to think I had chatted to him just beforehand while he was carrying the means to kill himself in his hands.

What happened to the vacuum cleaner?

4 hours ago, Last Ten said:

Such a very sad situation and I genuinely sympathise with the family of this poor guy and indeed anyone going through whatever issues they are having.

I have to say after looking at social media last evening 3fm and IOM Police it was a frenzy of remove the post, don't say this and don't say that ffs no wonder so many peeps get confused especially with FB, one person was private messaging people about their comments and one busy body lady took to both pages to tell everyone to shut up (I really hate FB).

Social media at its very best during a totally tragic incident.

A bit like Manx Forums but worse then.

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

On a similar note there's a story on IOM today where a young lass puts out a cry for help and ends up getting fined for her troubles!

Just read this ...why the hell did this ever go to court ...very sad and only making her issues worse. Sounds like she knows a bit about Mental health services so should have been supported totally . Not with Meds necessarily but with one to one input .  

29 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Just read this ...why the hell did this ever go to court ...very sad and only making her issues worse. Sounds like she knows a bit about Mental health services so should have been supported totally . Not with Meds necessarily but with one to one input .  

That report is hilarious 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53253

So they chased a 17 year old girl on a moped through the streets of Douglas like Starsky and Hutch because she was troubled and actually didn’t throw herself off Douglas Head. Perhaps they were looking to talk to her in order to ascertain why she didn’t kill herself to see if they could do her for wasting police time or not? 

Archived