Chester st incident

finlo

There is a disturbing mindset on this island I've noticed that is very peculiar or at least more prevalent here due to the type of people we attract to the island. It's a vicious dog eat dog mindset. They're not content to live and let live but have to "one up" everybody else, take delight in other people's misfortune, enjoy trying to destroy other people, take a disliking to someone and then resent them being happy or doing well, love to kick people while they're down, and just generally take delight in making other people's lives miserable. They're like vultures who feed off other people's misfortune. I've never encountered people as toxic and petty as on this island. So it's no wonder there is a lot of poor mental health for those of us who are actually normal and have to share the same island as such people.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, The Duck of Atholl said:

Something in the news about IOM suicide rate being on par with UK. However 41 between 2013 and 2017 seems quite a lot for a circa 80k population. Goodness knows what the answer to this is.

Underground car parks?

22 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

It doesn't hit suddenly for sure for many . As you get older the ability to fight back from issues is compromised for sure by troubles that you've had to deal with in previous years . It's almost your ability to bounce back gets eroded by stuff you've had to deal with.

I believe it was Nietzsche who said, "That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger" - to which he forgot to add, "but only up to a point!"

4 hours ago, Sheldon said:

Without going into any details, this is a fact I can vouch for from first hand observational experience.

Surely most people the police have to deal with are "very irritating" in one way or another. I don't see why that should make her treatment in this instance by the boys in blue and the courts any more punitive.

32 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

There is a disturbing mindset on this island I've noticed that is very peculiar or at least more prevalent here due to the type of people we attract to the island. It's a vicious dog eat dog mindset. They're not content to live and let live but have to "one up" everybody else, take delight in other people's misfortune, enjoy trying to destroy other people, take a disliking to someone and then resent them being happy or doing well, love to kick people while they're down, and just generally take delight in making other people's lives miserable. They're like vultures who feed off other people's misfortune. I've never encountered people as toxic and petty as on this island.

It's the same pretty much everywhere, though. The Germans are honest enough to have a specific word for it: schadenfreude.

40 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

There is a disturbing mindset on this island I've noticed that is very peculiar or at least more prevalent here due to the type of people we attract to the island. It's a vicious dog eat dog mindset. They're not content to live and let live but have to "one up" everybody else, take delight in other people's misfortune, enjoy trying to destroy other people, take a disliking to someone and then resent them being happy or doing well, love to kick people while they're down, and just generally take delight in making other people's lives miserable. They're like vultures who feed off other people's misfortune. I've never encountered people as toxic and petty as on this island. So it's no wonder there is a lot of poor mental health for those of us who are actually normal and have to share the same island as such people.

You obviously have never read the article comments on the Mail Online.  Or indeed the articles.  Or indeed most of the articles in the rest of the British Press. Spite and resentment against everyone except the people who own newspapers is pretty much what they do, along with a sort of angry sense of entitlement.  I don't think they are all written by people on the Isle of Man.

If anything I think it is probably less virulent over here (and in other smaller places with stronger social networks) though the dominant tone of the British media can't help but infect us.  

52 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

...take delight in other people's misfortune, enjoy trying to destroy other people...

This odious attitude is most certainly not exclusively consequential upon people who have come to live here. It’s regrettably prevalent among far too many local people.

Very enlighting this topic particularly the last 10 comments or so. A few sarcastic ones with crass comments that are not in keeping with what is a sad thread really. It just proves that empathy is not present in everyone sadly. It's has been generally a interesting topic and for what's it's worth has helped my spirits so that's a good thing . Sometimes Manx forum topics leave me thinking ,why just why as certain people have issues with others and quite honestly it's out of order ....in my opinion. ..so hopefully the general mood in here can transfer to other threads . Thanks for putting up with me 

7 hours ago, Sheldon said:

In itself, absolutely, but Ms McGhee is no stranger to the Court and whatever her other issues she appears to be able to play the system like a fiddle.

Teenager's offences during three-week crime spree

What a twat sheldon, one guy tops himself and you go hounding a 19 year old who has a shit load of problems that were not of her making. Do yourself a favour and shut up you stupid prick.

8 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That report is hilarious 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53253

So they chased a 17 year old girl on a moped through the streets of Douglas like Starsky and Hutch because she was troubled and actually didn’t throw herself off Douglas Head. Perhaps they were looking to talk to her in order to ascertain why she didn’t kill herself to see if they could do her for wasting police time or not? 

It seems like they actively prey on the vulnerable in order to criminalise them, so they can keep up the "crime" figures and justify annual budgets. If anybody is wasting "police time", it's the police.

54 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

What a twat sheldon, one guy tops himself and you go hounding a 19 year old who has a shit load of problems that were not of her making. Do yourself a favour and shut up you stupid prick.

If anyone is being overly disrespectful on this thread, I don’t think it’s me, so in that spirit I won’t cheapen it further by giving you the response that this deserves.

2 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

If anyone is being overly disrespectful on this thread, I don’t think it’s me, so in that spirit I won’t cheapen it further by giving you the response that this deserves.

Really, so you know the girl and her full history and why she will always have issues? Please give me the response that this deserves by shutting the fuck up.

Archived