Chester st incident

finlo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Something in the news about IOM suicide rate being on par with UK. However 41 between 2013 and 2017 seems quite a lot for a circa 80k population. Goodness knows what the answer to this is.

As at 2017 they're just about identical, at 0.01% per annum, although the UK figures have increased over the last year or two. The rate of male suicides is more than three times that for females.

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Something in the news about IOM suicide rate being on par with UK. However 41 between 2013 and 2017 seems quite a lot for a circa 80k population. Goodness knows what the answer to this is.

I've known quite a few over the years with suicidal tendencies, and they were mainly comeovers who had left the city "rat race" to get away from something or maybe to find some inner peace with a slower pace of life. One of them was a business partner who, on one shocking day, asked me to hold his head under a bath of water that he was sitting in fully clothed. I was quite young at the time and I was flabbergasted. Others I knew actually managed the deed. I think that whatever they were running away from was actually a part of their psyche that they could not escape. They brought it to the Island with them.

I can understand the processes that lead people to that place, certainly if it involves terminal or chronic illness and a lot of physical pain. Mental pain can seem just as severe too. In business decades ago, I have been at the point of desperation with a failing enterprise, staff that I would have to sack, a house that was pledged to the bank against loans that were about to be called in, a lease that was long, expensive and unbreakable - a situation that was just getting worse every day, seemingly with no way out. Every night a sleepless night. I was never quite suicidal, but can I understand the mindset and empathise? Absolutely.

3 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I always thought male suicide incidence here was higher than that in the UK

Maybe the latter has risen under 'austerity'

I have known personally quite a few people, all male, who have taken their own life over the years. All of them were due to relationships breaking down although even a day or so before, they gave no indication at all that they were struggling unduly. It must be something which hits very suddenly in some cases, a great tragedy and waste.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I have known personally quite a few people, all male, who have taken their own life over the years. All of them were due to relationships breaking down although even a day or so before, they gave no indication at all that they were struggling unduly. It must be something which hits very suddenly in some cases, a great tragedy and waste.

i'm not sure it ever hits suddenly,  i think people finally  give up or lose the strength to hold  on which they may have been struggling with doing  for years.    i guess the common causes are relationships breaking down,   money,   or your own health/pain .    then you get  suicide bombers but i don't group them in the same category.

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Something in the news about IOM suicide rate being on par with UK. However 41 between 2013 and 2017 seems quite a lot for a circa 80k population. 

If such a question is asked of the number wallah in the Health Service, you can virtually guarantee that the answer will be equal or a little bit less than UK equivalent.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. As long as it shuts the populace up, who cares? The managers in the health services and their colleagues still get their wack of a pay and pension.

In Tywnald a year or two ago a question was asked about the compulsory admissions under the various sections of the Mental Health Act (ie 'sections'). For each year the figure was uncannily similar to UK, per head of population.

12 minutes ago, gettafa said:

If such a question is asked of the number wallah in the Health Service, you can virtually guarantee that the answer will be equal or a little bit less than UK equivalent.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. As long as it shuts the populace up, who cares? The managers in the health services and their colleagues still get their wack of a pay and pension.

In Tywnald a year or two ago a question was asked about the compulsory admissions under the various sections of the Mental Health Act (ie 'sections'). For each year the figure was uncannily similar to UK, per head of population.

It's no secret that the mental health provision on this island has been inadequate for years. The waiting time for that inadequate service must prove crucial in many cases too!

Such a very sad situation and I genuinely sympathise with the family of this poor guy and indeed anyone going through whatever issues they are having.

I have to say after looking at social media last evening 3fm and IOM Police it was a frenzy of remove the post, don't say this and don't say that ffs no wonder so many peeps get confused especially with FB, one person was private messaging people about their comments and one busy body lady took to both pages to tell everyone to shut up (I really hate FB).

Social media at its very best during a totally tragic incident.

9 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I don’t think they measure it like they do in UK where suicide rate is about 1.5 per 10,000. That makes rate higher in iom but the numbers will be skewed by the fact the population is relatively smaller and suicide is a relative rare event. 
Almost impossible to know going forwards who is going to commit suicide and who isn’t. Much easier retrospectively. All studies show this. 

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

Such a very sad situation and I genuinely sympathise with the family of this poor guy and indeed anyone going through whatever issues they are having.

I have to say after looking at social media last evening 3fm and IOM Police it was a frenzy of remove the post, don't say this and don't say that ffs no wonder so many peeps get confused especially with FB, one person was private messaging people about their comments and one busy body lady took to both pages to tell everyone to shut up (I really hate FB).

Social media at its very best during a totally tragic incident.

Social media is fine.  Stupid is the problem.

Archived