Who's afraid of the big, bad ..........

14 minutes ago, Rog said:

You're right.  One of the issues was the penalty clauses that would have been triggered as a result of unplanned lost time for a Freedom Sounding of Big Ben.  My suspicion is that the BREXIT loathing civil service could have dealt with this by a contract amendment clause, common practice for high cost contracts, but put every obstacle in the way of celebrating what so many of them hate.

One huge difference between the EU and HMG is that in the case of the EU it's the unelected and so undemocratic European Commission that decides on policy and even law with the European Parliament acting only as a debating chamber.  It must (hopefully) come as a slap in the face to our Civil Servants to find that their ambitions in that direction are now dead on the vine.

Ironically in reality the island has the same relationship between the unelected Civil Service and Tynwald.

The other very valid point concerns the nationality of the hands on workers.  The probability is that a good number of them will be from EU states because of cost.  Another "nasty" where our erstwhile membership of the EU is where every job that goes to a foreigner is one more job immediately on our unemployment register and one more pressure on keeping wages down at home.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

That was kind of the point I was trying to make...

Yes, I recognised that but for one particular individual who has repeatedly demonstrated that he is hard of thinking I believe it could be supported "Janet and John" style.

37 minutes ago, Rog said:

One of the issues was the penalty clauses that would have been triggered as a result of unplanned lost time for a Freedom Sounding of Big Ben.  My suspicion is that the BREXIT loathing civil service could have dealt with this by a contract amendment clause, common practice for high cost contracts, but put every obstacle in the way of celebrating what so many of them hate.

The scaffolding went up last August. It's only the end of January now, to expect the work to have been completed in such short a time frame is idiotic. To put a clause in place just so they can ring a bell at a certain time (remember that time kept changing before the contracts for the work on the tower would have been agreed) would just be stupid. Or perhaps you're right and it is all one big conspiracy be the civil service.

Just now, P.K. said:

Care to explain how unemployment is at a 45 year low?

Because of the success of Conservative policies and opening employment possibilities with such things as zero hours contracts which benefit both employers and employees. The introduction and roll out of Universal Credit will also prove beneficial and once we set about ridding our country of illegals the position will improve even more.

People tend to overlook that illegals don't live on fresh air.  Every one has to be engaged in crime of one form or another in addition to being in our country illegally simply to eat and drink.

Just now, mojomonkey said:

The scaffolding went up last August. It's only the end of January now, to expect the work to have been completed in such short a time frame is idiotic. To put a clause in place just so they can ring a bell at a certain time (remember that time kept changing before the contracts for the work on the tower would have been agreed) would just be stupid. Or perhaps you're right and it is all one big conspiracy be the civil service.

It couldn't possibly have been finished by now but the claim was that to facilitate the break in schedule required to sound the bell  would push the end date out and was used as an excuse by the CS as a reason to oppose the use of Big Ben to celebrate an end of oppression by the EU.

3 minutes ago, Rog said:

Because of the success of Conservative policies and opening employment possibilities with such things as zero hours contracts which benefit both employers and employees. The introduction and roll out of Universal Credit will also prove beneficial and once we set about ridding our country of illegals the position will improve even more.

People tend to overlook that illegals don't live on fresh air.  Every one has to be engaged in crime of one form or another in addition to being in our country illegally simply to eat and drink.

Success???

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I personally don't think zero hours contracts are anything to be proud of.

They do come as an improvement over unemployment though and they do come with legally enshrined benefits to employee and employer both.

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

They do come as an improvement over unemployment though and they do come with legally enshrined benefits to employee and employer both.

What benefits would those be?

https://www.gov.uk/contract-types-and-employer-responsibilities/zero-hour-contracts - seems pretty shit to me. You can effectively be technically employed but in practice unemployed. A cynic might suggest it was just a means of massaging the unemployment figures.

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Success???

All in all and certainly considering the awful mess the Labour shower left then yes, I would say success but it would have been very much more do if BREXIT had started to run the moment that the referendum was run

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

What benefits would those be?

https://www.gov.uk/contract-types-and-employer-responsibilities/zero-hour-contracts - seems pretty shit to me. You can effectively be technically employed but in practice unemployed. A cynic might suggest it was just a means of massaging the unemployment figures.

Not brilliant I agree and could be improved at little cost but still better than nothing.

8 minutes ago, Rog said:

Wow! You must have the hide of an elephant.

Universal Credit has been an unmitigated disaster.

Zero hours contracts are used by unscrupulous employers to avoid unnecessary details like sick pay, pensions etc

The UK has absolutely thrived as a member of the EU. You got that bit right at least even if you got the reason for it completely wrong.

23 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Come on then, what are the benefits?

For one thing evidence of a willingness to work on your CV, for another those set out in law. But in addition frictionless paid employment when required.

Archived