Who's afraid of the big, bad ..........

57 minutes ago, Rog said:

Conventionally it means removing polution that has reduced a fertile area into a usually toxic and disease infested mess that is unwanted and spreading making nearby once attractive and safe areas equally unhealthy and unwanted. 

Rog "draining the swamp" would traditionally mean draining a wetland of water so that the land can be farmed or built on.  

Swamps are actually an important part of the ecosystem.  They can also held prevent flooding and even land loss.

Once again you have swallowed a lie.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Rog "draining the swamp" would traditionally mean draining a wetland of water so that the land can be farmed or built on.  

Swamps are actually an important part of the ecosystem.  They can also held prevent flooding and even land loss.

Once again you have swallowed a lie.

Swamps can also be created by misguided and/or ill advised or ill thought out construction or planning.

Swamps, or 'Wetlands' as they prefer to be called in the UK are nothing to do with the EU. So why mention it?

2 hours ago, Rog said:

Conventionally it means removing polution that has reduced a fertile area into a usually toxic and disease infested mess that is unwanted and spreading making nearby once attractive and safe areas equally unhealthy and unwanted. 

Is "draining the swamp" a euphemism for getting rid of these folks?

On 1/17/2020 at 6:43 PM, Rog said:

It's not only the EU scroungers that I object to.

it's ALL immigrant scroungers.

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Swamps, or 'Wetlands' as they prefer to be called in the UK are nothing to do with the EU. So why mention it?

Is "draining the swamp" a euphemism for getting rid of these folks?

Silly!  There's no end of toxic bits and pieces that we are lumbered with because of the European Commission that together have created The Swamp!

6 minutes ago, Rog said:

Silly!  There's no end of toxic bits and pieces that we are lumbered with because of the European Commission that together have created The Swamp!

Sorry. I didn't realise poisons were involved!

Don't bother Roger, you've already made your feelings VERY clear.

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hey Roger, it seems lots of Bigots Bashes will be taking place in Retirement Land ie the East of England:

Brexit celebrations going to be a little bit racist, admit Brexiters

MOST of the Brexit celebrations planned for Friday will be xenophobic bordering on actually racist, Leave voters have admitted.

Events to be held up and down the country are likely not to focus on international trade agreements but hostility to foreigners and re-enactments of World War II.

Leaver Norman Steele said: “If anyone brings any foreign food or drink it’s going in the bin, and I’ll probably entertain guests with quips like ‘If there’s any French froggy b*stards here, they can hop off’. It’s not threatening because it’s banter.”

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/brexit-celebrations-going-to-be-a-little-bit-racist-admit-brexiters-20200129192936

Got your effigies of illegals at the ready...?

The ultimate irony is that not even Big Ben will be chiming it in due to the wonderfully productive UK workforce who couldn’t get it working in time. 

7 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

The ultimate irony is that not even Big Ben will be chiming it in due to the wonderfully productive UK workforce who couldn’t get it working in time. 

??????  ?

8 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

UK company but who says it's a UK workforce?

5 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Its Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd doing the work, but was it ever actually planned to be finished yet? I'd say the renovation work is pretty complex and time consuming.

You're right.  One of the issues was the penalty clauses that would have been triggered as a result of unplanned lost time for a Freedom Sounding of Big Ben.  My suspicion is that the BREXIT loathing civil service could have dealt with this by a contract amendment clause, common practice for high cost contracts, but put every obstacle in the way of celebrating what so many of them hate.

One huge difference between the EU and HMG is that in the case of the EU it's the unelected and so undemocratic European Commission that decides on policy and even law with the European Parliament acting only as a debating chamber.  It must (hopefully) come as a slap in the face to our Civil Servants to find that their ambitions in that direction are now dead on the vine.

Ironically in reality the island has the same relationship between the unelected Civil Service and Tynwald.

The other very valid point concerns the nationality of the hands on workers.  The probability is that a good number of them will be from EU states because of cost.  Another "nasty" where our erstwhile membership of the EU is where every job that goes to a foreigner is one more job immediately on our unemployment register and one more pressure on keeping wages down at home.

11 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Rog did you know that there is a big building in London which is sinking, falling apart and full of long tails?

I think we should sort out our own house before criticising others.

So do I but there's such an awfully "SNAFU" where the Manx government is concerned that it will take a massive root and branch reform, including abandoning the hugely inappropriate "Westminster Model" just to get to first base.

8 minutes ago, Rog said:

You're right.  One of the issues was the penalty clauses that would have been triggered as a result of unplanned lost time for a Freedom Sounding of Big Ben.  My suspicion is that the BREXIT loathing civil service could have dealt with this by a contract amendment clause, common practice for high cost contracts, but put every obstacle in the way of celebrating what so many of them hate.

One huge difference between the EU and HMG is that in the case of the EU it's the unelected and so undemocratic European Commission that decides on policy and even law with the European Parliament acting only as a debating chamber.  It must (hopefully) come as a slap in the face to our Civil Servants to find that their ambitions in that direction are now dead on the vine.

Ironically in reality the island has the same relationship between the unelected Civil Service and Tynwald.

The other very valid point concerns the nationality of the hands on workers.  The probability is that a good number of them will be from EU states because of cost.  Another "nasty" where our erstwhile membership of the EU is where every job that goes to a foreigner is one more job immediately on our unemployment register and one more pressure on keeping wages down at home.

Have to say I'm pretty much in awe that so much nonsense could be packed into a single post.

Rather than waste time demolishing it I'll just leave a quote from the German Comedy Ambassador to the UK one Henning Wehn:

"The foreigners do ruin it for the British workforce though, don't they.

Turning up on time, sober, wanting to work...."

Archived