Who's afraid of the big, bad ..........

27 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Wow! You must have the hide of an elephant.

Universal Credit has been an unmitigated disaster.

Zero hours contracts are used by unscrupulous employers to avoid unnecessary details like sick pay, pensions etc

The UK has absolutely thrived as a member of the EU. You got that bit right at least even if you got the reason for it completely wrong.

The UK has thrived IN SPITE of being stuck in the EU.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Oh dear.

Those pesky GDP £figures bite you right in the prejudices every time.....

:)

Interpretation of GDP, especially in the case of the UK and it's ballance of trade.  Something ELSE you don't know how to interpret.

12 minutes ago, Rog said:

Interpretation of GDP, especially in the case of the UK and it's ballance of trade.  Something ELSE you don't know how to interpret.

Don't worry Roger, I'll stick to the internationally recognised measurement if that's all right with you....

30 minutes ago, Rog said:

For one thing evidence of a willingness to work on your CV, for another those set out in law. But in addition frictionless paid employment when required.

You said "legally enshrined benefits", an entry on your CV has nothing to do with that. Which are the ones "set out in law"?

14 minutes ago, Rog said:

For both parties.

Errr I think you'll find that zero hours contractors can't just turn up expecting work.

Sure the UK rabid right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, dig up zero hours people who say it suits them just fine but the number that end up on benefits indicates zero hours contracts are great for the unscrupulous employer and miserable for the employee.

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Don't worry Roger, I'll stick to the internationally recognised measurement if that's all right with you....

Very good, but they need to be interpreted if used for anything beyond determining investment risks.

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Errr I think you'll find that zero hours contractors can't just turn up expecting work.

Sure the UK rabid right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, dig up zero hours people who say it suits them just fine but the number that end up on benefits indicates zero hours contracts are great for the unscrupulous employer and miserable for the employee.

Very true, and ZHC's can be abused by employers but some benefits are still better than none.  Personally I would like to see a nominal 1 hour credit for each hour spent at the employers workplace waiting for a "live" placement but that's just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

You said "legally enshrined benefits", an entry on your CV has nothing to do with that. Which are the ones "set out in law"?

The CV entry is an advantage when attending for an interview for a conventional job just as working on a voulentry basis looks better than a raw "unemployed" gap in an employment record.  As for those set out in law refer to the item posted a few posts back.

8 minutes ago, Rog said:

The CV entry is an advantage when attending for an interview for a conventional job just as working on a voulentry basis looks better than a raw "unemployed" gap in an employment record.  As for those set out in law refer to the item posted a few posts back.

Can you repeat them please, I can't see where you are referring to.

@Rog You clearly do not understand zero hour contracts.  The intention is to remove the mutuality of obligation found in other contracts of employment.  This means that the employer is not obliged to provide work and the worker is not obliged to accept it.

The control, like every other contract of employment, lies with the employer.  If you as a worker reject to many offers of work the employer will stop offering it and you have no recourse in law.  A guarantee of one hour pay while waiting for work is not going to happen as it does not suit businesses who may have hundreds of people on zero hour contracts.

As for your BS about EU workers being cheaper...  if the workers are not paid in accordance with the national minimum wage/national living wage then the employer is acting unlawfully and the employee can bring a claim.  Obviously illegal workers may work for less than this but that is why the UK has legislation dealing with Modern Slavery.  

Skilled EU workers are often earning the same or more as their UK comparators.  There is a large chunk of unskilled work where you would struggle to find a UK worker as they are not willing to do the work (e.g. manual labour, produce picking, cleaning etc).  You are spouting more myths.

Archived