16.8% of kids qualify for free meals

Dave Angel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

But what is the qualification level? Without this info one can't really comment.

Any child whose parents qualify for means tested social security payments. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

Thanks. Plenty received free meals when I was at Albert Road School in the 60's.

2 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Thanks. Plenty received free meals when I was at Albert Road School in the 60's.

Yeah, but there have been 50 years of economic growth since then. We've virtually zero unemployment but wages for many people aren't high enough, so they rely on benefits. Whilst their multi-national employers don't pay tax here; senior civil servants on vast wages look for savings at the lower end; and nobody is prepared to pay the fair price for anything so those at the bottom have to accept less than a fair wage. 

Unemployment is reported as low because the statistics are manipulated and only counts those on unemployment benefit. I'd guesstimate it's more like 15% of the working age population isn't actually working. I'd sure someone could work it out from the Pink Book and other stats. 

1 hour ago, Dave Angel said:

I think its skewed as is you have a child who spends time between separated parents then if either party is in receipt of benefits they become eligible irrespective of the other sides income.

It would be interesting to correlate between the reducing birth rate and this.  Seems we have more deaths than births at the moment. 

Less rich people having children and the poor people staying the same?

When I was a nipper, we would have qualified for free school dinners, but mum flat out refused due to pride/the shame!

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

but mum flat out refused due to pride/the shame!

Shame is invented to control people. The rich have no shame at taking advantage of the opportunities they have to get more for less, the poor should feel no 'shame' and ignore the concept entirely.

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

When I was a nipper, we would have qualified for free school dinners, but mum flat out refused due to pride/the shame!

We also qualified for free school dinners but our mum refused out of pride, shame did not enter the equation as she was rightly proud of the fact that she worked a 40 hour week plus looked after the house and family. My father died when we were all relatively young

13 minutes ago, parchedpeas said:

Shame is invented to control people. The rich have no shame at taking advantage of the opportunities they have to get more for less, the poor should feel no 'shame' and ignore the concept entirely.

Ha try telling that to Mama Phantom.

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

We also qualified for free school dinners but our mum refused out of pride, shame did not enter the equation as she was rightly proud of the fact that she worked a 40 hour week plus looked after the house and family. My father died when we were all relatively young

Hmmm, ok maybe not the 'shame', more that she didn't want to be a burden on society.  She worked multiple jobs just to keep us fed etc and maybe didn't want the rest of the world to know how much we struggled. 

People shouldn’t feel shamed for qualifying for free meals. We should feel shame that so many still do despite our economy allegedly being so successful. I note the OP made reference to the hilarious 8th wealthiest economy nonsense we dreamed up few years ago. Yeah right. Nearly 20% of all children qualify for school meals as their parents are being supported by the DHSC and we have a very active Foodbank. . 

Archived