muslim nominated for MLC...

SJR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is actually in the Courier! I'd just assumed SJR was taking shit as normal. Haafizah Hoosen is the person in question. She's a South African who's been here since 2001.

Muslim doesn’t worry me at all. South African on the other hand...

And anyone connected with PSM Commissioners fills me with more dread than Houghton and Henderson combined. 

19 minutes ago, SJR said:

When they legalised men sleeping with young boys and taking them to Barcelona I knew it was only a matter of time before a muslim would be in Tynwald..

I’m not sure sex with children (of either sex) has actually been legalized here. I suppose it’s a good excuse for a bit of thinly belied racism though. Nice try. 

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And here is Ms Hoosen's Linkedin.  Apparently she's an Ask for Evidence Ambassador for Sense about Science, which may set her up for disappointment as a member of Tynwald.

'My work includes identifying parasites found in the environment and studying their impact on public health.' 

She is going to the source.

2 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Having read her LinkedIn (which has no mention of any religion) I would have no problem with this person....

...except WAY too young and inexperienced. She'd be so easy to manipulate. 

Ah we've gone from Islamophobia to ageism. Easy to forget the youngest member of the Keys is the one least likely to be manipulated - Lawrie Hooper. 

2 hours ago, SJR said:

A sign of the times as the Lib Vans propose a muslim to feature in Tynwald..Word on the street is that another will soon get a nomination as well..Looking forward to hearing the call to prayer and interruptions to business.

Not proposed by Lib Vans.

25 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Ah we've gone from Islamophobia to ageism. Easy to forget the youngest member of the Keys is the one least likely to be manipulated - Lawrie Hooper. 

Actually, you're quite right. Very wrong of me to be opposed to her becoming an MLC because of her age.

I'm purely against it because of her lack of life/professional/people/negotiating experience. Something she can easily remedy (although it will take a few years).

But at least she starts off with brains, so already ahead of many.

9 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Actually, you're quite right. Very wrong of me to be opposed to her becoming an MLC because of her age.

I'm purely against it because of her lack of life/professional/people/negotiating experience. Something she can easily remedy (although it will take a few years).

But at least she starts off with brains, so already ahead of many.

all these objections  forgetting just how good the place is with who's there already and all their 'experience'

52 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Having read her LinkedIn (which has no mention of any religion) I would have no problem with this person....

...except WAY too young and inexperienced. She'd be so easy to manipulate. 

She is older than Peter Karran and a similar age to David Cretney when first elected 

Archived