muslim nominated for MLC...

SJR

4 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I've no issue with anyone's Faith but that young lady's employment record doesn't impress me. A lot of jobs with only being in tenure for a short amount of time. 

maybe she will be the next airport director then ?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Latest runners and riders are here

And here is Ms Hoosen's Linkedin.  Apparently she's an Ask for Evidence Ambassador for Sense about Science, which may set her up for disappointment as a member of Tynwald.

Wtf of a non-job is an " ask for evidence ambassador for sense about science" ???

She also lists "sixth form committee"  on her list of experience. Ffs.

1 hour ago, sir nige said:

its a sad day when someone's ability is judged by age, sex, skin colour or religion........

it is, but  for people with NO ability what so ever it is all that is left that they can be  judged on.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

1. Tynwald debates and approves policy, not the keys. He’d still be a member.

2. Nothing to stop him being a minister in LegCo, vide Tim.

3. I agree that keys have been trying to emasculate LegCo for 20+ years, Lisvane didn’t understand this. It’s why they won’t allow direct elections. And trying to back one constituent part of our legislature into the corner of opposition isn’t sensible or workable. 

1. Yes, but in practice policy is decided by CoMin then approved by Tynwald. LegCo only have the ability to force a combined vote on a policy issue so their power is vastly reduced.

2. True but it's a practice that is frowned upon. The Chief Minister can now only be elected from the Keys thanks to Alf Cannans amendment to the CoMin Act I thought they had changed it for ministers as well but just checked and no they haven't. I guess this was deliberate.

3. Indeed either get rid of it or reform it properly rather than crudely hacking away at the edges.

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Wtf of a non-job is an " ask for evidence ambassador for sense about science" ???

She also lists "sixth form committee"  on her list of experience. Ffs.

It doesn't matter what her qualifications and abilities are, she's female and a member of a minority, a dead cert!

1 hour ago, war baby said:

There is nothing wrong in seeing some younger faces from more diverse backgrounds in government.  Like it or not, it is part of modern day Britain and so are we.  She seems to be from Leicester, so she is certainly aware of multiculturalism.

When was Leicester multicultural?  

Archived