Blot on the Biosphere

CharlieBrown

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I saw it on the Manx nostalgia fb page.

The thing with these old stone houses is that no one lives in the way they they did when they were built. They are outdated. Id be surprised if there was anything special about this one. They aren't architectural wonders, they've been thrown up with stone and rubble and are held together by the render. You could argue that some are worth saving but seriously its easier and much more sensible to knock em down and start again. And I say that as someone who does a lot of work restoring or renovating old houses.

Our place comprises of four stone built cottages knocked into one. They're god knows how old but my guess is around five hundred years based on a couple of nearby farm houses that have dates shown on the gable ends.

They've been professionally dry lined with outside vents, there's a floating floor with vents, the loft space was built long before we bought the house and is well insulated and vented.

No damp, no condensation, very warm in winter and with the windows open or with the a/c on when it's wasp time (we've got some plum trees and two fig trees close to the house) delightfully cool in summer.

I just wonder that glorified shed will last given the Manx climate quite apart from being UGLY.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Bill  has posted a pic of the proposed development

It will have a great vista - the view from there is one of the best on the island, if not the best

It's a very exposed position tho'

How robust are those window corner things?

Image may contain: sky, house, plant, tree, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

If that’s external wood facing it will be a nightmare to maintain. In 10 years time it’ll either be peeling, rotten and grotty looking or requiring some rich anal fool willing to paint it every 3 years. In either case the resale value will be affected. 
Wood in our climate needs to be internal and not exposed to the elements. 

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Bill  has posted a pic of the proposed development

It will have a great vista - the view from there is one of the best on the island, if not the best

It's a very exposed position tho'

How robust are those window corner things?

Image may contain: sky, house, plant, tree, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Very good point re the robustness, Donald. The architectural design seems to owe more to that of a WW2 pillbox than a luxury residence. I have no problem with modern energy managed homes which should be incentivised, but there is no reason for them to look so downright ugly.

image.png.b31894c11a73b8e33ac28653d8b437e8.png

6 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

If that’s external wood facing it will be a nightmare to maintain. In 10 years time it’ll either be peeling, rotten and grotty looking or requiring some rich anal fool willing to paint it every 3 years. In either case the resale value will be affected. 

Agreed. The wood facings on that (Haven?) development on the left approaching Fort North roundabout from Douglas are already starting to show signs of our climate, won't be difficult to see them rotten in a few years' time.

15 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

depends on the wood......

If you are involved in, or contemplating, the renovation of old buildings or trying to cure damp in them, this is a spectacular resource:

https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/managing-damp-in-old-buildings.html

If you have had work done that has not cured the problem, read it and weep.

ETA: In fact, it's so useful, I'll give it a new topic in general chat.

Just now, woolley said:

If you are involved in, or contemplating, the renovation of old buildings or trying to cure damp in them, this is a spectacular resource:

https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/managing-damp-in-old-buildings.html

If you have had work done that has not cured the problem, read it and weep.

She Who Speaks' late uncle was a site foreman for many years with Costains in the North West. He used to amuse me when he stayed with us for the TT/MGP by walking round the house in Ballachurry Park, Onchan saying where's your air-bricks? Whatever you do don't block them up!

And it must have rubbed off because when we last went house hunting the first thing I did was look for the air-bricks. In fact it got to be a bit of an obsession!

Archived