Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ebola has a transmission rate between 44% and 90%. It also transmits in as many, if not more ways than COVID-19, so far. Even its dead victims can kill. Death rate 25%-100%.

Are you a medical practitioner or a plumber? 

44 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

This policy of isolation / containment would have made sense for something like Ebola, which has a relatively low transmission rate and high death rate.  However, I'm not sure that it makes sense for Coronavirus which has a high transmission rate and low death rate.  Given what we know about it, and its pattern of rapid and apparently unstoppable spread so far, I don't think all these drastic measures like cancelling public events are going to do very much other than just slow it down and postpone the inevitable, which is that eventually we will all get exposed to it, the vast majority of us will recover, and those with lowered resistance or weakened immune systems will die.  However, I must stress that this is just a personal opinion and not the official line.

Stop it with your sensible comments. 

I rather think the government are going for a quick peak and then a swift recovery rather than a long drawn out, inconvenient affair like other countries have done. I must say I'm in favour of the former rather than the latter. 

Quilp if you do not touch an Ebola patient / victim you are unlikely to catch it. Burial practices in West Africa were a huge issue in its spread and it is very unlikely to spread in a western clinical and cultural environment. 

Balladoc, the experience of China, Singapore etc is that quarantines work. The political challenge is going it on the right part of the curve to be effective. 

segregating masses of well people is highly damaging to the economy and risks the quarantine being broken with repeat episodes of spread and clamp down needed. 

When there is upward velocity in cases quarantines are highly effective. China implemented its crackdown where there is the bump in deaths reported around Feb 13.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-deaths-covid-19-who?country=CHN+FRA+DEU+IRN+ITA+GBR

The chief medical officer explained it well last night there is a time and a place for quarantines but we are not there yet as the curves show.

1 minute ago, Chinahand said:

Quilp if you do not touch an Ebola patient / victim you are unlikely to catch it. Burial practices in West Africa were a huge issue in its spread and it is very unlikely to spread in a western clinical and cultural environment. 

Yes I know all that, thank you very much. You're being condescending and patronising, again, China.

Why not do a thorough investigation on recent expert opinion on dynamic aerosol contamination, droplet contamination etc., before you get on your high horse? You'll find the CDC, in 2014 had to change their advice and information on Ebola transmission routes because they were challenged by experts in that field.

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Stop it with your sensible comments. 

I rather think the government are going for a quick peak and then a swift recovery rather than a long drawn out, inconvenient affair like other countries have done. I must say I'm in favour of the former rather than the latter. 

From a purely logical and practical point of view it helps sort out the pensions problem, wipes out lots of bed blockers in hospitals, and if we get it all first, we can then be one of the first countries to recover properly. I really can see the logic of getting the inevitable pain done quickly.  

8 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

From a purely logical and practical point of view it helps sort out the pensions problem, wipes out lots of bed blockers in hospitals, and if we get it all first, we can then be one of the first countries to recover properly. I really can see the logic of getting the inevitable pain done quickly.  

Absolutely. 

Let it runs it's course and peak over the warmer months when general immunity amongst the population is higher, instead of extending any residual infections into the latter half of the year when we get the inevitable rise in other viruses with seasonal decreasing immune systems. 

Archived