Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

1 minute ago, war baby said:

Now here is a question I can't find answered anywhere;  how long after an infected person has been in a room is it safe to enter?  As one who was born in the first half of the last century, I am keenly interested to discover the answer.

Never, you can never go in that room again. You'll have to board it up.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, war baby said:

Now here is a question I can't find answered anywhere;  how long after an infected person has been in a room is it safe to enter?  As one who was born in the first half of the last century, I am keenly interested to discover the answer.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces/

How long does SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, last on surfaces we touch every day?

Potentially several hours, or even days.

Original Source:

Abstract

HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here, we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

19 minutes ago, war baby said:

As Chinahand says above, it's generally about 18 hours on plastic but could be longer. So it's on everything you buy you in the supermarket if the staff are infected

It's boomergeddon. All the UK deaths have been over 60s so far.

44 minutes ago, war baby said:

clean that room with two of these...

See the source image

10 minutes ago, war baby said:

Well, thanks for the helpful info.  It seems I may as well wish you all farwell now.  You will miss me when I'm gone. :(

who said that?

Archived