Douglas Borough Council

On The Bus

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, english zloty said:

I thought recycling was a DBC scheme? If not then why do they keep telling us how green they are?

The 'bring banks' (for glass, tins, paper etc) as nobody outside government calls them, are operated by the DoI.  DBC did operate a kerbside collection for recycling (I think it also covered Braddan and Onchan) and that has ceased, but whether that is because the DoI will no longer accept what they collect I don't know.

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The 'bring banks' (for glass, tins, paper etc) as nobody outside government calls them, are operated by the DoI.  DBC did operate a kerbside collection for recycling (I think it also covered Braddan and Onchan) and that has ceased, but whether that is because the DoI will no longer accept what they collect I don't know.

What's the point of either scheme when it all ends up in the incinerator?

5 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

In normal times it doesn't.  The link in my comment gives the various uses things are put to.  By closing the scheme down (which doesn't seem to have happened with recycling in the UK) the DoI are now insuring that a lot more (much of it nonburnable such as metal and glass) will end up at the incinerator causing more costs in general.  But no doubt they are congratulating themselves on how much they are 'saving'.

51 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

The collected glass goes to corletts and is turned into 'eco-sand' for block paving.

The metal cans are supposed to get compressed, bailed and sold but I don't know who does this. You see a flatbed heading to the boat sometimes filled with them occassionally.

The paper used to be dealt with by Manx Paper Stock but they don't exist anymore after filling a warehouse in Balthane waiting for the price to rise and creating a massive home for ringies. It's probably easier just to burn it.

At the amenity sites they have separate cardboard areas now - this is because it is classed as 'eco-fuel' and has a better gate price at the incinerator.

39 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The collected glass goes to corletts and is turned into 'eco-sand' for block paving.

The metal cans are supposed to get compressed, bailed and sold but I don't know who does this. You see a flatbed heading to the boat sometimes filled with them occassionally.

The paper used to be dealt with by Manx Paper Stock but they don't exist anymore after filling a warehouse in Balthane waiting for the price to rise and creating a massive home for ringies. It's probably easier just to burn it.

At the amenity sites they have separate cardboard areas now - this is because it is classed as 'eco-fuel' and has a better gate price at the incinerator.

Sometimes go to the boat or occasionally filled?

44 minutes ago, finlo said:

I've witnessed the glass recycling truck discharge it's cargo at Wright's pit pre EFW day's.

Not sure what you mean by pre EFW. When did glass ever go there ?

Glass is used by. Corletts, maybe at one time wrights aggregate.

cans have always been baled and exported, same with paper. It was at one

time held at the EFW plant then loaded into trailers and shipped out. I believe the. Corpy now do this

Cardboard was also baled and shipped out, but this may have ceased now as it gets wet at the tip and is then useless for recycling. Maybe just burned now.

38 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not sure what you mean by pre EFW. When did glass ever go there ?

Glass is used by. Corletts, maybe at one time wrights aggregate.

cans have always been baled and exported, same with paper. It was at one

time held at the EFW plant then loaded into trailers and shipped out. I believe the. Corpy now do this

Cardboard was also baled and shipped out, but this may have ceased now as it gets wet at the tip and is then useless for recycling. Maybe just burned now.

Before the incinerator was built I was dumping crap at Wright's pit when the recycling truck pulled up alongside me and disgorged about a million bottles into landfill.

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

Before the incinerator was built I was dumping crap at Wright's pit when the recycling truck pulled up alongside me and disgorged about a million bottles into landfill.

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

I was in short pants then and the Telly was black and white:whistling:

Archived