Douglas Borough Council

On The Bus

I'm not sure this fits into any existing thread so I'll post this here. 

The behaviour of Douglas Borough Council towards businesses in recent weeks has been an utter disgrace. Probably 80 or 90% of Strand Street is currently closed due to the lockdown, trade is decimated, yet we have the likes of David Christian 'MBE' essentially threatening businesses that they must pay their rates as if nothing was happening. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/council-cant-afford-to-drop-business-rates-during-pandemic/

Meanwhile many councils across the British Isles are making allowances and actually trying to help businesses to survive. 

Is the Council keeping its staff on full salary while they are absent from work? Namely the Library, various public counters at the town hall, and the Eastern Civic Amenity site while I don't begrudge the staff their salary, thousands of private sector workers have been 'temporarily laid off' and not all even qualify for Government support. 

I wonder why the Council is so hostile towards local businesses, or is it just that they're totally out of their depth in the current crisis? 

All in all the Government should enact emergency legislation to take over the assets of local authorities until this has passed.  The bin collections should be arranged centrally rather than from 22 separate offices. 

Douglas Borough Council may not be able to afford to cut rates, but Douglas can't afford the cost and excesses of Douglas Borough Council. 

88980503_88980498_Manx Ind.jpeg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, On The Bus said:

I'm not sure this fits into any existing thread so I'll post this here. 

The behaviour of Douglas Borough Council towards businesses in recent weeks has been an utter disgrace. Probably 80 or 90% of Strand Street is currently closed due to the lockdown, trade is decimated, yet we have the likes of David Christian 'MBE' essentially threatening businesses that they must pay their rates as if nothing was happening. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/council-cant-afford-to-drop-business-rates-during-pandemic/

Meanwhile many councils across the British Isles are making allowances and actually trying to help businesses to survive. 

Is the Council keeping its staff on full salary while they are absent from work? Namely the Library, various public counters at the town hall, and the Eastern Civic Amenity site while I don't begrudge the staff their salary, thousands of private sector workers have been 'temporarily laid off' and not all even qualify for Government support. 

I wonder why the Council is so hostile towards local businesses, or is it just that they're totally out of their depth in the current crisis? 

All in all the Government should enact emergency legislation to take over the assets of local authorities until this has passed.  The bin collections should be arranged centrally rather than from 22 separate offices. 

Douglas Borough Council may not be able to afford to cut rates, but Douglas can't afford the cost and excesses of Douglas Borough Council. 

88980503_88980498_Manx Ind.jpeg

I wonder if that great former worthie, good egg, repeated serial HOK bye election candidate and former DBC member David Ashford has opened his mouth, and put David Christian MBE back in his box? Ann Corbett that silent comedical invisible politician needs to open her mouth in defence of shop keepers. Two refugees from the Council, would be interesting to hear their views?

Was it not clarified a couple of days ago that the rates bills will still go out, however those who struggle to pay were to let the Govt know? Despite what's happening, a small number of business in the Island having been in business for quite some time and built up healthy funds, no doubt will pay rather than defer and that is what was asked of the business community. 

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Would it be feasible to abolish local authorities on the IOM?

Feasible yes, but this would also cause a reduction in staff members (particularly management), reduction in overall costs/charges and would also question the need for so many MHKs, so I can’t see it happening any time soon.

This is exactly what I have been thinking, on the bus has hit it on the head, no forward thinking at all, persecution of shopkeepers when they most need help, do they want to turn Douglas into a ghost town ? The ridiculous parking charges are bad enough, I am aware that they have scrapped these at the minute.   Shops are changing hands and closing down at a rate never before seen and this is their answer....unbelievable, perhaps they are purchasing a couple more chewing gum removal machines or perhaps more fireworks, they waste money on self promotion all the time.   Well I hope the small shops don’t pay the worst that will happen is the small claims court where they will be allowed to pay in manageable installments.  I bet the hoteliers get help with their rates Skelly will see to that.

I saw this today, Douglas turning blue as a tribute to the emergency services etc. In normal circumstances I would say it is worthwhile and a nice gesture to make. 
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54894&headline=Douglas to turn blue in tribute to key workers&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

What does concern me is why turn on lights along Duke Street, Strand and Castle Streets when most of the shops aren’t open due to a state of emergency, Those permitted to open are restricted in their opening hours. So Douglas Corpy are going to waste (yet again) resources on streets which will have no footfall. The intention is good but it’s execution is lousy and shows a disdain for the long suffering rate payers. 

Archived