Douglas Borough Council

On The Bus

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

This is exactly what I have been thinking, on the bus has hit it on the head, no forward thinking at all, persecution of shopkeepers when they most need help, do they want to turn Douglas into a ghost town ? The ridiculous parking charges are bad enough, I am aware that they have scrapped these at the minute.   Shops are changing hands and closing down at a rate never before seen and this is their answer....unbelievable, perhaps they are purchasing a couple more chewing gum removal machines or perhaps more fireworks, they waste money on self promotion all the time.   Well I hope the small shops don’t pay the worst that will happen is the small claims court where they will be allowed to pay in manageable installments.  I bet the hoteliers get help with their rates Skelly will see to that.

Well observed. 

Sadly some of our current HOK crop, have come from Douglas Council. Some have for years yearned the hallowed chains (before it disappeared), whilst some seek and try multiple times to get elected to be a National Politician and opposed to a Parish Pump operative. For the next General Election if any of these current and wannabe Politicos, I would like them to justify why they are standing for office, and give examples of where they have changed the corporate behaviour and promoted new ideas - eg, voted to introduce new working practices etc or cut waste within the organisation. Perhaps as well if councillors who object to planning applications frivolously, merely anti change and progress, perhaps their records could be studied?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Feasible yes, but this would also cause a reduction in staff members (particularly management), reduction in overall costs/charges and would also question the need for so many MHKs, so I can’t see it happening any time soon.

Why would abolition of local authorities question the need for so many MHKs?

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Would it be feasible to abolish local authorities on the IOM?

They're only administrative bodies. Not permanent, immovable edifices (though some in them would like to think so).

No reason why it couldn't be looked at and implemented if there were benefits to be had.

I'd rather pay a central rate to have my bins emptied instead of Lord knows how much else for proposed beach huts in Ramsey and some of a town hall hierarchy strolling round hands in pockets and sitting on their arses in Costa half the working week.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Why would abolition of local authorities question the need for so many MHKs?

Why wouldn’t it? If 21 local authorities are merged into one, you aren’t going to need 23 people to represent one local authority are you?

I think a better idea is to have 4 local authorities, North, East, South and West, but again it’s not going to happen.

4 hours ago, On The Bus said:

It absolutely is. 

Be expensive. Why penalise everyone because Douglas has a bureaucracy which is too costly?  Give the functions of the LAs to the civil service if you really want to see the cost - and the pension deficit- soar. 

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I saw this today, Douglas turning blue as a tribute to the emergency services etc. In normal circumstances I would say it is worthwhile and a nice gesture to make. 
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54894&headline=Douglas to turn blue in tribute to key workers&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

What does concern me is why turn on lights along Duke Street, Strand and Castle Streets when most of the shops aren’t open due to a state of emergency, Those permitted to open are restricted in their opening hours. So Douglas Corpy are going to waste (yet again) resources on streets which will have no footfall. The intention is good but it’s execution is lousy and shows a disdain for the long suffering rate payers. 

Be better to make the lights red...to match many of the bank accounts of the traders of businesses this obnoxious council are raiding at this time.

I don't think any of this will be foegotten at the next council election. Even Christian could go on this one.

Douglas Corporation have been self-isolating for years, in their very own magical money bubble.

I can see many councils being amalgamated if the island is to recover its finances.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

They're only administrative bodies. Not permanent, immovable edifices (though some in them would like to think so).

No reason why it couldn't be looked at and implemented if there were benefits to be had.

I'd rather pay a central rate to have my bins emptied instead of Lord knows how much else for proposed beach huts in Ramsey and some of a town hall hierarchy strolling round hands in pockets and sitting on their arses in Costa half the working week.

Even if that central rate was far more expensive?  Because that's where this would take us. 

18 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Why wouldn’t it? If 21 local authorities are merged into one, you aren’t going to need 23 people to represent one local authority are you?

I think a better idea is to have 4 local authorities, North, East, South and West, but again it’s not going to happen.

MHKs don't represent local authorities. They represent House of Keys constituencies. 4 local authorities?  Fantastic. 4 Douglas Corpies. No thanks!

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

Even if that central rate was far more expensive?  Because that's where this would take us. 

We all use the services and infrastructure within Douglas, why shouldn’t all of the island be paying towards it? One local authority would be more cost efficient, I’d be surprised if it’s more effective.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

MHKs don't represent local authorities. They represent House of Keys constituencies. 4 local authorities?  Fantastic. 4 Douglas Corpies. No thanks!

Would this not affect local authority housing which make up huge percentages of their constituencies? it would surely have an impact? 

18 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

It needn't be more expensive.

For some it would be. I think that one of the points woolley (could be wrong) is trying to get across is in Douglas you might pay say (made up figures) £1200 rates for a 3 bed house whereas in Andreas it might only be £400. Abolish the LA's and just have one, what's going to happen? The Douglas ones might go down a tiny bit, might, but you can guarantee that the Andreas one will be shooting right up. Expensive for basically everyone who lives outside Douglas.

Archived