Douglas Borough Council

On The Bus

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Would this not affect local authority housing which make up huge percentages of their constituencies? it would surely have an impact? 

All social housing on the island needs transferring into one single all-island housing association. It's been a political football for too long. 

33 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

We all use the services and infrastructure within Douglas, why shouldn’t all of the island be paying towards it? One local authority would be more cost efficient, I’d be surprised if it’s more effective.

What services and infrastructure is that then?

7 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

All social housing on the island needs transferring into one single all-island housing association. It's been a political football for too long. 

OK. But not public sector. Make it a third sector body as in the UK. 

38 minutes ago, finlo said:

I don't use any services or infrastructure provided by Douglas Corpy. If I venture into Douglas I might patronise businesses there, thus contributing to the abilities of those traders to pay the town's inflated rates. In no way is Douglas subsidising me. 

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't use any services or infrastructure provided by Douglas Corpy. If I venture into Douglas I might patronise businesses there, thus contributing to the abilities of those traders to pay the town's inflated rates. In no way is Douglas subsidising me. 

Exactly, my primary reason to go there is to catch the ferry!

1 hour ago, finlo said:

The amenity site? I go there because of the extended opening hours in summer, my rates don’t cover it though. 

A lot of the other public buildings/sites I was thinking of don’t seem to fall under their responsibility, in which case I don’t understand why their rates are so high if it’s only a library, horse trams and car parks they’re responsible for.

16 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The amenity site? I go there because of the extended opening hours in summer, my rates don’t cover it though. 

A lot of the other public buildings/sites I was thinking of don’t seem to fall under their responsibility, in which case I don’t understand why their rates are so high if it’s only a library, horse trams and car parks they’re responsible for.

They provide no more facilities for the rest of the island than any other local authority.

44 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Aren't the horse trams not part of their remit anymore, since going to the DOI, or do the ratepayers still contribute to that?

Archived