IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Did you open the link?

They can’t quantify the numbers.

I had a brief look at at a few of them. One of them said something about a formal report in July. I reckon if you could be arsed you could pull a fair bit of data out of what they have there, but it would take a while. There seemed to be a fair bit available for earlier last year.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The 'C' word is very offensive particularly to women.

Users of the 'C' word in my experience are generally: male, under 40, single, have failed a few exams in their time, have no girlfriend, haven't had a girlfriend for a while and are unlikely to get a girlfriend for a very long time.

You use it frequently, then, Uncle Albert

• Haha 1

Really so very sorry for everyone in the UK, this is a terrible but necessary step, I suppose.  Hopefully, most of our students are still on the island and have not returned to Uni. 

Edit to add - possibly not. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The 'C' word is very offensive particularly to women.

Users of the 'C' word in my experience are generally: male, under 40, single, have failed a few exams in their time, have no girlfriend, haven't had a girlfriend for a while and are unlikely to get a girlfriend for a very long time.

Only my view but I try to remember that anything I post is readable by others .....whether they are members or not.

I still think the worst word that is used far too often is the word 'you'. It usually comes before an insult or an accusation.

Just saying'.

1 minute ago, Apple said:

Only my view but I try to remember that anything I post is readable by others .....whether they are members or not.

I still think the worst word that is used far too often is the word 'you'. It usually comes before an insult or an accusation.

Just saying'.

You are right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Really so very sorry for everyone in the UK, this is a terrible but necessary step, I suppose.  Hopefully, most of our students are still on the island and have not returned to Uni. 

Going into lockdown for a 3rd time but still not closing the borders having people coming and going.

What's that saying? A sign of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Sorry for the sensible ones in the UK, for the Bankers in the UK, you got what was coming to you

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55537974

Scottish MP arrested.

There are probably one or two more high profile persons who could /should have been dealt with in a similar manner. I can only think of Cummings at the moment but surely that incident undermined what Boris was trying to achieve. 

8 hours ago, Apple said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55537974

Scottish MP arrested.

There are probably one or two more high profile persons who could /should have been dealt with in a similar manner. I can only think of Cummings at the moment but surely that incident undermined what Boris was trying to achieve. 

There was also the incident with one of the advisors (think his name was neil ferguson?) where he broke lockdown rules to go pump his mistress

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

You use it frequently, then, Uncle Albert

I think the C word is out of time. If this forum want to attract a cross section of people and enjoy a lively debate than there is no space for this kind of bigoted sexist language. It needs to attract a cross section of our society

If this forum wants to die out as a small enclave of old sexist men with nothing to do on a evening that spout offensive language because they haven't the brains to use proper language then get on with it.

A bit of humour and sarcasm is fine

Very disappointed that a 'mod' on here is openly supporting it and making light of it

Sorry for being boring

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

The university students are trying to find out what’s happening with various courses, ones like medicine, veterinary are still continuing as can’t be done online 

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think the C word is out of time. If this forum want to attract a cross section of people and enjoy a lively debate than there is no space for this kind of bigoted sexist language. It needs to attract a cross section of our society

If this forum wants to die out as a small enclave of old sexist men with nothing to do on a evening that spout offensive language because they haven't the brains to use proper language then get on with it.

A bit of humour and sarcasm is fine

Very disappointed that a 'mod' on here is openly supporting it and making light of it

Sorry for being boring

No one is making light of it. And I post on here as me, not moderator me, unless I make it clear as moderating.

Im not sure there’s enough consensus on how offensive the C word is. We don’t have a list of forbidden words or topics and the moderators aren’t taste or thought police.

There are some words that are culturally decided  to not be acceptable. Those words changes with time and your location, ethnicity, cultural background. They may not be absolutes.

That being said we don’t generally allow N, or P, or antisemitic, or racist posts. We get accused as moderators of inconsistency but then we’re human.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No one is making light of it. And I post on here as me, not moderator me, unless I make it clear as moderating.

Im not sure there’s enough consensus on how offensive the C word is. We don’t have a list of forbidden words or topics and the moderators aren’t taste or thought police.

There are some words that are culturally decided  to not be acceptable. Those words changes with time and your location, ethnicity, cultural background. They may not be absolutes.

That being said we don’t generally allow N, or P, or antisemitic, or racist posts. We get accused as moderators of inconsistency but then we’re human.

So would you use the C word in Tesco and think it was OK?

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women that I know. If we want to drive people away that's fine let them keep doing it. Personally I would kick out posters that use language like that but its just my view.:)

• Like 1