IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, momo65 said:

The reason things were very grim in India is quite likely to be explained by the recent discovery of a gene whose presence greatly increases the liklihood of severe disease & death. It's found in about 70% of their population but only 15% of ours. 

Hey, seeing as you do this kind if thing to me... :)

Study into gene that affects Covid severity should be treated with caution

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/nov/04/human-genetic-variant-can-affect-covid-severity-say-oxford-scientists

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hey, seeing as you do this kind if thing to me... :)

Study into gene that affects Covid severity should be treated with caution

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/nov/04/human-genetic-variant-can-affect-covid-severity-say-oxford-scientists

Sure  of course it should. It's only one study and not especially robust. However its been pretty obvious there's some genetic link. The first few UK Covid deaths were dominated by Asian ethnicity GPs. Whether this is the link or not there's plainly some genetics in play either directly, indirectly or through epigenetic factors

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And yet after 500,000 years (and probably more) the human body has learnt to adapt to these threats and for the vast majority of that time without any intervention. Nature has taken it's course.

Except in many cases the body doesn't adapt to viruses. Herpes viruses such as cold sores lie dormant and flare up every now and again. Chickenpox lies dormant and reappears as shingles at a later date, which is an illness you really don't want.

Or if it does, not in the way you'd want. The body adapts to HPV by developing cervical cancer. Even more bizarrely, the virus which causes toxoplasmosis in cats actually causes personality changes in rodents to remove their fear of cats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1690701/. This has the advantage to the virus of making its host more likely to be eaten.

We don't know that much about viruses, but it's fair to say they're often not benign.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Except in many cases the body doesn't adapt to viruses. Herpes viruses such as cold sores lie dormant and flare up every now and again. Chickenpox lies dormant and reappears as shingles at a later date, which is an illness you really don't want.

Or if it does, not in the way you'd want. The body adapts to HPV by developing cervical cancer. Even more bizarrely, the virus which causes toxoplasmosis in cats actually causes personality changes in rodents to remove their fear of cats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1690701/. This has the advantage to the virus of making its host more likely to be eaten.

We don't know that much about viruses, but it's fair to say they're often not benign.

Despite that the human race still survives. That's my point.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, offshoremanxman said:

She seems to be annoyed by just about everything to be fair. It’s also interesting to note she’s now done a full Josem on her profile and said that she blocks trolls (ie, I block anyone who doesn’t agree with me). It’s pure theatre. Playing to the audience of doom fetishists. 

I hate to point it out but that’s been on my Twitter bio for far longer than Josems. He seems to have copied me in the last few weeks. I’ve been blocking trolls since April 2020 and you should note that my Twitter has been approval only for a while now. I truly enjoy rejecting follow requests from people I don’t know.

The other post is correct. I’m annoyed by the “live with it” Facebook crowd who seem to think the pandemic is over and no mitigation’s are required at all. Typically they respond to the daily stats on Facebook with “and how many in ICU?” without realising that almost no-one right now will go to ICU because there are side rooms on the COVID ward that will be ICU substitutes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m really not interested. I stopped reading the doom and gloom last year and certainly don’t understand why anyone wants to perpetuate the fear or the over egged predictions. We live in a society where freedom of choice exists. If people still want to wear a mask and distance that’s fine by me as they won’t come into contact with me if they do. Making what I choose to do or not do largely irrelevant to them or their chances of dying from covid. 

If you stopped reading how would you know what I have been tweeting about in the last 11 months? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

If you stopped reading how would you know what I have been tweeting about in the last 11 months? 

How accurate have your predictions over the last 18 months turned out to be?

What percentage success rate would you give yourself?

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Things still pop up in my Twitter feed. It’s inescapable. I don’t go hunting for any of it. It’s just depressing. 

Nope, not possible.  My tweets are protected. It’s a members club these days. You can’t see them unless you follow me, and I have control over that.

• Like 1

In Europe wearing masks in shops and on public transport is compulsory and enforced. Maybe we should do that in the UK. It’s a pain but is seems to help. I still wear a mask in shops and on public transport. Some still do. The demographic of those you don’t fall into 2 categories. 1 those least likely to have been vaccinated and 2 those most likely to have covid because they don’t give a shit.

Perhaps that is why the UK has the highest infection rate in Europe and the stupidest entry requirements and zero foreign tourists bar the most determined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I know they’re protected. Maybe you should hunt me down and block me. 

‘They pop up on my feed” suggests algorithm rather than you following me. Maybe you should unfollow me if you think I’m part of the doom coven. Sorry that the computational job adverts and cat pictures are too much for you. Try the Kardashians instead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Typically they respond to the daily stats on Facebook with “and how many in ICU?” without realising that almost no-one right now will go to ICU because there are side rooms on the COVID ward that will be ICU substitutes. 

Wrong. We’re not using ventilators outside of ITU as far as I know, and certainly not in side rooms on the covid ward. 

No-one goes to ITU (almost) because we’re (almost) all vaxxed and either don’t get ill enough to require it, or are too frail in the first place to justify it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2