Black Lives Matter

40 years ago the University where I taught admitted a cohort of Vietnamese refuges into the engineering faculty (the North was winning or had won the war) - they came, according to the schools as mid teens with little or no English and their parents had little or no resources they could bring with them - by their hard work they achieved good A levels and most got 1st class degrees (it was rather embarrassing to see their well earned success relative to say our local English cohort) - some stayed on for post-graduate work - the ambition of most was to get to Canada. Possibly the success of these refugees has fed back over the years and the UK is/was seen as a place that hard work could reap its rewards

• Like 5

At the risk of being racist I came from a very poor background, no electricity, no running water, common way of speaking, second hand clothes..........I'm serious!

I managed to achieve a degree when I was in my thirties and eventually became a head teacher....gaining another degree on the way!

Oh yes, I'm white British and I don't feel hard done to or have an axe to grind against anyone of any creed, colour or race.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Born on the island, taken to Staffordshire in England when I was two, all above took place in England, came home in 1994.

As an aside, I watched and experienced parts of England become a foreign land but I also gained many black relatives as siblings got married although I already had a Jamaican Uncle and two black skinned cousins I love dearly.

Sorry if some of you consider it racist to post such comments but if you do I would question your definition of racist.

24 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

At the risk of being racist I came from a very poor background, no electricity, no running water, common way of speaking, second hand clothes..........I'm serious!

I managed to achieve a degree when I was in my thirties and eventually became a head teacher....gaining another degree on the way!

Oh yes, I'm white British and I don't feel hard done to or have an axe to grind against anyone of any creed, colour or race.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.

And you’re of an age where the positive action of Labour governments post WW2 opened up and expanded tertiary education, made it free, awarded maintenance grants and removed some of the previously in built bias and institutional discrimination against the poor. Helped you overcome those disadvantages. It’s not very different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good on yer Doc. Was that in England or on the Island ?

As an aside, I've been wondering if disabled people should be thanking their lucky stars that at least they're white ? 

Disability extends across all racial, ethnic, religious divides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

And I would suggest the same benefits are extended to ALL British residents with disabilities

But accessibility is probably subject to institutional bias, against the poorer and less well educated members of society.

That probably includes a disproportionate number of BAME.

I did 20 years of being Chair of the Social Security Tribunal. The forms and procedures to claim can be arcane.

I struggled with the mobility and disability living allowances form. That with a first and masters degree and being legally qualified in 4 jurisdictions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But accessibility is probably subject to institutional bias, against the poorer and less well educated members of society.

That probably includes a disproportionate number of BAME.

I did 20 years of being Chair of the Social Security Tribunal. The forms and procedures to claim can be arcane.

I struggled with the mobility and disability living allowances form. That with a first and masters degree and being legally qualified in 4 jurisdictions.

I know exactly what you mean, it instills the fear that you'll 'blow it' with one slip of the pen!

Don't disagree with that. I was trying to point out that many, many humans are disadvantaged by the mores of society and the way it is biased towards the needs and wants  and continuation of  lifestyles of the, 'elite'. 

Edited by doc.fixit

10 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Born on the island, taken to Staffordshire in England when I was two, all above took place in England, came home in 1994.

As an aside, I watched and experienced parts of England become a foreign land but I also gained many black relatives as siblings got married although I already had a Jamaican Uncle and two black skinned cousins I love dearly.

Sorry if some of you consider it racist to post such comments but if you do I would question your definition of racist.

What on earth could anyone consider as being in ANY way racist in that?

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with that post Doc but that phrase about England being a foreign land would get you into major trouble with the thought police. Straight off to the re-education camp up country for you m'lad. Two years of spartan living and cold classrooms until they get your mind right ;)

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, WTF said:

You can bet money some attention seeking retard will find a way.

It certainly looks that way.  A legitimate protest about the behaviour of some American police was rapidly picked up and exploited mostly by ANTIFA. Marxist supporters then jumped on the battlebus and our history now is under attack further assisted by "Useful Idiots" (Google the phrase?).

• Like 6