Coffee. To pod or not to pod

Andy Onchan

I've been considering buying one of those machines that uses pods, instead of making it in a cafetiere.

So I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on what type to get without spending a fortune. For example, are the metal & plastic pods truly recyclable? Can you taste the metal?

My consumption is 2 x mugs from when I get into the office until lunchtime, so I'm not sure if I would count as a big consumer or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

I've never owned one, but have had a couple of different coffee pods at other peoples houses and its ok, but not as great as they make out. Expensive (40 -50p a cup?) and too much waste for me, dunno about recycling but I have seen the pods in the can recycling bin when I've been dumping my empties so someone tries. You are limited to a certain size of coffee, its not going to fill up your sports direct mug. I'd stick with the cafetiere, and being able to buy a much wider choice of ground coffee personally. 

• Like 2

I was given one of the pod machines, but prefer the cafetiere. Less waste.

I suppose if you want an espresso (or something like a latte that builds on an espresso) then the machines are better. But if you are happy with Ground coffee (or looking for an upgrade from instant) then the Cafetiere is better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I've been considering buying one of those machines that uses pods, instead of making it in a cafetiere.

So I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on what type to get without spending a fortune. For example, are the metal & plastic pods truly recyclable? Can you taste the metal?

My consumption is 2 x mugs from when I get into the office until lunchtime, so I'm not sure if I would count as a big consumer or not.

Thoughts, anyone?

Get a DeLonghi Magnifica and use beans, that's the very best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Thoughts, anyone?

Get yourself a Nescafé “Dolce Gusto” You can get one for about £50. Great little machine, we had one for several years.

Actually, the reason why I'm considering the move is that I already use a cafetiere and find that I end up having to make more than I need because as you get further down the pot the less refined and more gritty it is. I've tried various cafetiere over the last few years and none of them 'filter' like a pod does. But the disposable pods are eco-challenging, I think. Are they really recyclable?

So the next step is looking at reusable stainless steel pods. Does anyone have any experience with that type?

Thanks for your comments so far.

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually, the reason why I'm considering the move is that I already use a cafetiere and find that I end up having to make more than I need because as you get further down the pot the less refined and more gritty it is. I've tried various cafetiere over the last few years and none of them 'filter' like a pod does. But the disposable pods are eco-challenging, I think. Are they really recyclable?

So the next step is looking at reusable stainless steel pods. Does anyone have any experience with that type?

Andy,

Look at the cost of DeLonghi + Beans versus Pods. In the long run you'll find that pods are quite expensive. If you're really into your coffee you just can't beat freshly ground although ready ground can be very, very good.

You pay extra for Pods.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Just drink tea...

• Haha 2

About the size of your cafetiere...

I had the same problem so just buy yourself a small one, one that does a mug full. I put the boiling water in the mug first, to warm it, then pour the water into the cafetiere. It hits the coffee at an agreeable temp. Job done.

@GD4ELI

That bean is exceptional. 

• Like 1

I considered pods, but decided against as they're wasteful, and depending on the machine you might be tied to a particular manufacturer.  I went instead for a bean-to-cup machine similar to the one suggested above.  No regrets.

• Like 1