Coffee. To pod or not to pod

Andy Onchan

20 years ago started out with a home espresso and filter machine. Got a grinder. Too much faff. But great coffee.

Then we got a nespresso machine. Didn’t really use enough, and hate the waste. Took it to Spain.

We now have a Dolce Gusto machine. It’s rarely used. To be honest the coffee isn’t the best.  

I’ve thought about a Bean’s to cup, decided can’t be arsed. Another machine that’ll end up consigned to a cupboard unloved and unused. 

So we drink various instants, and I drink tea.

I drink real espresso in Spain, Italy and Bulgaria, where they don’t pollute it with syrups, stupid names or serve it in buckets.

The nearest restaurant to me, in Spain, and I  have a deal. My place was a restaurant before I bought. They left a catering kitchen complete with very good espresso machine. I’m no barista. So I donated it to the restaurant, when theirs broke down, in exchange for free coffee for life.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have two Nespresso pod coffeemakers - unused

Also have a Heston / Sage type machine but you need to use it often to have fresh beans - unused

Have a cafetiere - probably used once a fortnight when someone calls around

Mostly just use instant

I've got a nespresso and it makes me look like George Clooney!

Coffee is surprisingly good (including espressos) and there is a huge selection of types of coffee depending on your preference.  I generally have about 4 or 5 different types of coffee on the go depending on flavour, region, strength etc. 

They are also good from a convenience point of view.  Stick a pod in, press a button, go and do something else for 2/3 mins, come back and you've got a cup of coffee waiting for you. 

They work out about 50p a cup and to be honest are on par (if not better) than most of the coffee shops over here. 

Allegedly you can recycle them - not tried it yet, but I do have a bin bag full of them, with the intention of doing this at some point... 

Used to grind and use a proper espresso machine. Problem is wife drinks decaf so lot of faff. Had the Lavazza system of pods for about 5 yrs which was fine. Switched to Nespresso 12 months ago. Bought one of these https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/nespresso-by-magimix-inissia-11350-coffee-machine-black-21949344-pdt.html. When it was on offer for about 50 quid. Also have a milk frother jug. Use the Lor capsules for regular and decaf. It works out about 20-25p a cup but product is fresh, less fuss and cleaning. All the capsules go in the aluminum skip at the amenity site. 

I used to have a pod machine, hated it, the coffee tasted artificial.

A few years back got a bean to cup machine, it was low end expensive at around £350.00. It takes around a minute to get it self sorted when you first turn it on. It uses a fair amount of water to self clean and the water holder isn't massive, probably four of five mug fulls before it needs filling again.

Most parts that need cleaning will go in the dishwasher.

I use it every morning, weekdays for just a large espresso type coffee and at weekends my poor version of a flat white.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived