Big new boat in the bay!

Max Power

A new boat n the morning   

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m getting snippets. It’ll carry between 1100-1200 passengers. There’ll be more cabins and premium lounges/seating ( its all about up selling ). Slightly more freight and vehicle capacity. Service speed will be 18/19 knts but it will be capable of sustaining 25. That’ll give a sub 3 hour Heysham for TT, allowing 3 round trips a day at peak demand.

If successful over 3-4 years there’ll be a sister ship, to replace the fast craft.

Of course, if any of that is true, and not man in the pub talk, and I haven’t been in a pub since before lockdown, it raises interesting questions about the viability of Liverpool. it’ll never be full apart from TT, that’s a lot of over capacity, do we need a very expensive terminal for what isn’t our main gateway?

I trust it will have a decent infirmary with the capabilities to test every pax for Covid-19 en route....

"Slightly larger than the Ben" thus making the harbour "slightly smaller" than it needs to be.

I'm guessing the "Cruiser Berth" has sunk without trace....?

34 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Well there you go. I didn't remember it was even called the Snaefell! Bin that idea then. How about Barrule?

It was hastily renamed Snaefell to distance itself from it's sinking incident in the Mersey.

I'm not interested in a "sailing experience" because my requirements are to cross the Irish Sea as conveniently and cheaply as possible.

Presumably "up selling" increases the costs?

Therefore it should be called "Kippered"

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

...do we need a very expensive terminal for what isn’t our main gateway?

This is doubtless a rhetorical question as we’ve all known the answer for a very long time.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m getting snippets. It’ll carry between 1100-1200 passengers. There’ll be more cabins and premium lounges/seating ( its all about up selling ). Slightly more freight and vehicle capacity. Service speed will be 18/19 knts but it will be capable of sustaining 25. That’ll give a sub 3 hour Heysham for TT, allowing 3 round trips a day at peak demand.

If successful over 3-4 years there’ll be a sister ship, to replace the fast craft.

Of course, if any of that is true, and not man in the pub talk, and I haven’t been in a pub since before lockdown, it raises interesting questions about the viability of Liverpool. it’ll never be full apart from TT, that’s a lot of over capacity, do we need a very expensive terminal for what isn’t our main gateway?

I always prefered Liverpool when it was our main port. I understand the freight restriction but from a passenger's point of view I'd always choose Liverpool over Heysham?  Perhaps it is the timetable that makes the difference?

I always felt that a couple of big signs on the M6/M62 junction clearly pointing the way to "Isle of Man Ferries" would be some of the best subliminal advertising we could spend a bit of cash on? 

Archived