Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58333&headline=Drugs are the biggest threat to our island&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Crime

Maybe now is the time to re-think the whole cannabis situation. Let me clarify that I don't smoke. Have never used cannabis but think now is the time for the IOM to follow some of the other countries who have legalised cannabis. Nearly every week, the local paper carries stories of people being arrested for offences relating to cannabis.

• Like 2

• John Wright changed the title to Cannabis - Time for a re-think?
19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Just to point out that this is the second topic that @Neil Down has started on the Chief Constable Annual Report and neither has a title that tells you what on earth he is talking about.

I take it you can read?

thanks for the title change JW

34 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You know that, I know that, Roberts knows that. Still nothing done about it though

Exactly.  We could have been at the cutting edge on this, but the hysterical and uneducated views of too many people (mainly politicians) in relation to cannabis will stall any attempt to have a more forward looking and open policy on this. 

Nothing will be done here unless the UK does it and then, we'll probably be way behind. 

It genuinely makes me despair.  Today the Cheif Cuntstable was riling against drugs and organised crime being the biggest threat to the Island.  I'd hazard a guess that around 50% of the business interests and cash are associated with weed. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Part of the economic recovery strategy is to include legalisation by the 2021 growing season, no?

It should. But it won't.

"Not while I'm in charge" was HQ's comments. Which is an invitation to be replaced if enough of the electorate knows his views.

24 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It should. But it won't.

"Not while I'm in charge" was HQ's comments. Which is an invitation to be replaced if enough of the electorate knows his views.

Well medicinal was certainly part of the economic recovery framework approved back in July as per https://covid19.gov.im/economic-recovery/our-future/

There are people within Government actively working on the legislative framework for this at the moment...

Edited by jaymann

4 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Well medicinal was certainly part of the economic recovery framework approved back in July as per https://covid19.gov.im/economic-recovery/our-future/

There are people within Government actively working on the legislative framework for this at the moment...

Yeah medicinal with the THC removed though. And THC is a significant part of the analgesic effect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58333&headline=Drugs are the biggest threat to our island&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Crime

Maybe now is the time to re-think the whole cannabis situation. Let me clarify that I don't smoke. Have never used cannabis but think now is the time for the IOM to follow some of the other countries who have legalised cannabis. Nearly every week, the local paper carries stories of people being arrested for offences relating to cannabis.

No. Not really.  It's a brain rotting drug.

• Like 3