General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

25 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

He’s delusional at best. Who the f@@@ encourages these people. They should be ashamed.

I know Keiran pretty well, through the local music scene.  He’s a genuine guy - I have nothing to say about his past, as I didn’t know him then - who wants to see the island bettered for all. Yes, he has a leftist agenda and likes a smoke, but I wish him well in his campaign. I might even help him. 

I doubt he’ll get in, because to do so he’ll have to get votes from the older voters who like you Dilli would vote for a gentleman farmer over an idealistic youngster. But he’d at least make Tynwald sessions more interesting. We need political representatives like Keiran. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I know Keiran pretty well, through the local music scene.  He’s a genuine guy - I have nothing to say about his past, as I didn’t know him then - who wants to see the island bettered for all. Yes, he has a leftist agenda and likes a smoke, but I wish him well in his campaign. I might even help him. 

I doubt he’ll get in, because to do so he’ll have to get votes from the older voters who like you Dilli would vote for a gentleman farmer over an idealistic youngster. But he’d at least make Tynwald sessions more interesting. We need political representatives like Keiran. 

I will and always have done for more than 40 years, vote for a candidate with life experience, some decent amount of business acumen and plenty of common sense. 
As I see it, that it three things this guy does not have. Pot smoking rock stars don’t make good politicians in my experience.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Josem said:

The US certainly elects a lot more governmental officials. One place even elects their local dogcatcher.

I know that this isn't the place for serious ideas, but in the world where we are unlikely to fundamentally change our Westminster political system, a smaller or more achievable reform might be to have term limits on managers in the public service. That might help re-weight the power towards democratically-accountable MHKs, etc.

Agreed. All CEO’s on three (or possibly five) year fixed term contracts, with robust measures of success, independently assessed and evaluated. No compensation or parachute payments for non-renewal. 

Would focus the minds of useless chancers like Nick Black. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I will and always have done for more than 40 years, vote for a candidate with life experience, some decent amount of business acumen and plenty of common sense. 
As I see it, that it three things this guy does not have. Pot smoking rock stars don’t make good politicians in my experience.

What about voting for someone who knows what it’s like to try to live on minimum wage, who doesn’t own land, and can’t rely on a gold plated pension? 

For the good of society as a whole we need political representation from the whole spectrum of society. If our political overlords are all degree educated CEOs, or from the right families, nothing will change. 

Are you happy with the status quo Dilli? Personally, I do great out of it, but I’d like to think that things could be better for all, and would be happy to see someone like Keiran elected to bat for the little man. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

People want change but vote for the same type of people everytime. If Alf Cannan for example was brought up by a much poorer family, perhaps had a challenging upbringing, didn’t excel at most things, then perhaps he would have been able to truly relate to the Financial support given during this pandemic, but he wouldn’t have been the great speaker he is now either.

Thats not me knocking Alf, I believe he does his best with the options he’s given, but he will never truly know what it feels like to spend your last tenner and not knowing how he’ll feed his kids tomorrow.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

What about voting for someone who knows what it’s like to try to live on minimum wage, who doesn’t own land, and can’t rely on a gold plated pension? 

For the good of society as a whole we need political representation from the whole spectrum of society. If our political overlords are all degree educated CEOs, or from the right families, nothing will change. 

Are you happy with the status quo Dilli? Personally, I do great out of it, but I’d like to think that things could be better for all, and would be happy to see someone like Keiran elected to bat for the little man. 

Totally disagree. Leaving it there as not prepared to argue with someone I may need soon. 
( and someone I hugely respect )

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Wrighty, what is the reason you don’t stand? If you can see and understand the sort of divide we have then you’d be bloody fantastic at it, plus you’ve already proved yourself as a good public speaker?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Wrighty, what is the reason you don’t stand? If you can see and understand the sort of divide we have then you’d be bloody fantastic at it, plus you’ve already proved yourself as a good public speaker?

Next time - 2026 - is the plan. Too young to give up the day job right now, but I plan to get involved more this time to learn about the process. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Totally disagree. Leaving it there as not prepared to argue with someone I may need soon. 
( and someone I hugely respect )

Please, argue away.  I’ll replace your other hip any time (subject to waiting list constraints) regardless of your political views or in fact anything you post on here :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1