General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I've just listened to her interview with Paul Moulton, in relation to her dad she says that the constituents will be getting a "two for one deal"! I think it's fair yo say he is central to her campaign...

So twice the old boys club then FFS !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

Her present role is about £30K from the jobtrain post and her future pay could be £60K, so worth a little effort. In the same way Rob fills salt bins. 

Every little helps

£65k I think. But why do people all think politicians are in it for the money. I recon there’s easier ways to earn £65k. Just watched her interview, nervous (bless her - she’ll get better) but the thing for me is there was no real substance - no good answers to questions. But if MLP are writing their policies I guess she can’t commit to any? I wish her luck. She seems genuine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I've just listened to her interview with Paul Moulton, in relation to her dad she says that the constituents will be getting a "two for one deal"! I think it's fair yo say he is central to her campaign...

Err, she says "Some people have said to me 'it's like a two for one deal'". Which isn't what you wrote.

The interview is here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Absolutely.

What exactly did Cretney do in the 30 years he was on the payroll.  yes we know he liked bikes and shows and DJ events and was a shop keeper, but 30 years and then left when the kitchen got hot.  She will probably just be his political puppet.  Let’s be having some new blood, using her dads name to get a job is old school, voters are not that  daft. 

waiting to here what pot we get to vote on here in the south. 

14 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Last time I voted for Moorhouse figuring as a teacher he had half a brain. Sadly that is true he does have half a brain but that is half more than his colleague !

I would vote for a slug in preference to some of the candidates we have had the choice of ! I sincerely hope some people who at least are going to try and make a difference, stand this next time !!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Absolutely.

What exactly did Cretney do in the 30 years he was on the payroll.  yes we know he liked bikes and shows and DJ events and was a shop keeper, but 30 years and then left when the kitchen got hot.  She will probably just be his political puppet.  Let’s be having some new blood, using her dads name to get a job is old school, voters are not that  daft. 

Pol Pot is who you deserve

Hello Manx Forums!

Sarah Maltby here, honestly it is me! 

Just wanted to answer some of the questions/queries that have been asked on this thread.

1. I didn’t stand in the 2020 by-election as my youngest child had not yet started school. Although I have every confidence in my husband to manage the transitional handover, for me, it wasn’t the right time. 
  2. Secondly, I would have had to give up my job if elected. This would have left me in a very insecure position this year if I was not re-elected. I’m sure you can appreciate that as I do not have a business to fall back on this would have left my young family in a difficult financial and stressful position. I am a normal working person. 
  3. Yes, My Dad is David Cretney and No we did not plan the newspaper articles about his life and my declaration. The newspaper interview was done well before Christmas and we don’t get to choose when it’s released! Nor do we have a say on how a journalist writes their article. 
  4. My declaration was always going to be Jan 2021. This has been the plan since the GE in 2016! I have been politically  motivated since I was a kid, taking a more active part over the last 10 years. I have attended many of the Government roadshows and events held by various organisations and groups around the Island. I’m surprised we haven’t already met at one of these meetings.
  5. I declared early because I have a young family, work full time and there are 2500 houses to visit! I am a firm believer in 1-1 ‘meet and greets’ which is impossible at the moment and very frustrating. I did manage to visit 100-150 houses before the lockdown to simply introduce myself. This is very important to me and I want to leave enough time to personally visit every home. 
  6. I also want people to give me a fair shot. A late declaration would have looked like I was trying to get in on the back of who my dad is. That is 100% not what I want. This is about me. I feel I can’t do right for doing wrong with this one sadly. 
  7. The MLP are almost finished the latest policy manifesto so, when that is released I hope to share our ideas. The interview I gave with Paul Moulton was a little vague but, this is the reason why! A first ‘Live’ interview during a pandemic on top of normal life was a little nerve wracking so please give me time.
  8. I can tell these posts have not been made by anyone who knows me as anyone who does knows I am fiercely independent. I ain’t no puppet!! I have had 35 years of being the ‘daughter of’ rather than being introduced as myself. It becomes a little tiresome. Trust me!
  9. I bring with me my own professional experiences in mental health, education, health and social care. I have worked and volunteered in these sectors for 20+ years and hope anyone reading this gives me the opportunity to get to know me and my values and principles. 
  10. My family background is unavoidable and so it will occasionally be the focus of an interviewers questions. I don’t set the questions and nor do I want to. I’m sure I will get help delivering leaflets on the run to the election but surely this is ‘normal’ practice. I can’t exactly not include my Dad in my campaign team- it can only be done with the generous support of family and friends.

I think that’s it all covered, sorry if I have missed anything I’ll pop back on here tomorrow to check however, email is my preferred method of contact if anything needs to be brought to my attention urgently. 

In the meantime here are my contact details:

Sarah.Maltby@outlook.com

Fb: Sarah Maltby 

Insta: Sarah_Maltby_IOM

Thanks for reading, if you still are!

Sarah Maltby

Candidate for South Douglas, House of Keys General Election 2021.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 1/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, HeliX said:

Err, she says "Some people have said to me 'it's like a two for one deal'". Which isn't what you wrote.

The interview is here

Thanks for clearing that up- it is what some people have said. Looking back it was probably a stupid thing to recall as this thread has proven. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sarah Maltby said:

Thanks for clearing that up- it is what some people have said. Looking back it was probably a stupid thing to recall as this thread has proven. 

Fair play for the admission. I have a vested interest as a Douglas South constituent. I'll admit I will give you a hard time because anyone who is the son or daughter of anybody (probably excepting Hitler) will, whether they like to admit it or not, already have an advantage...that two for one deal that some constituents mentioned. With that in mind it is only fair that you are taken to task on it. 

Don't forget you were first to mention your family history in that interview...

8 hours ago, Sarah Maltby said:

Hello Manx Forums!

Just wanted to answer some of the questions/queries that have been asked on this thread.

1. I didn’t stand in the 2020 by-election as my youngest child had not yet started school. Although I have every confidence in my husband to manage the transitional handover, for me, it wasn’t the right time. 
  2. Secondly, I would have had to give up my job if elected. This would have left me in a very insecure position this year if I was not re-elected. I’m sure you can appreciate that as I do not have a business to fall back on this would have left my young family in a difficult financial and stressful position. I am a normal working person. 
  3. Yes, My Dad is David Cretney and No we did not plan the newspaper articles about his life and my declaration. The newspaper interview was done well before Christmas and we don’t get to choose when it’s released! Nor do we have a say on how a journalist writes their article. 
  4. My declaration was always going to be Jan 2021. This has been the plan since the GE in 2016! I have been politically  motivated since I was a kid, taking a more active part over the last 10 years. I have attended many of the Government roadshows and events held by various organisations and groups around the Island. I’m surprised we haven’t already met at one of these meetings.
  5. I declared early because I have a young family, work full time and there are 2500 houses to visit! I am a firm believer in 1-1 ‘meet and greets’ which is impossible at the moment and very frustrating. I did manage to visit 100-150 houses before the lockdown to simply introduce myself. This is very important to me and I want to leave enough time to personally visit every home. 
  6. I also want people to give me a fair shot. A late declaration would have looked like I was trying to get in on the back of who my dad is. That is 100% not what I want. This is about me. I feel I can’t do right for doing wrong with this one sadly. 
  7. The MLP are almost finished the latest policy manifesto so, when that is released I hope to share our ideas. The interview I gave with Paul Moulton was a little vague but, this is the reason why! A first ‘Live’ interview during a pandemic on top of normal life was a little nerve wracking so please give me time.
  8. I can tell these posts have not been made by anyone who knows me as anyone who does knows I am fiercely independent. I ain’t no puppet!! I have had 35 years of being the ‘daughter of’ rather than being introduced as myself. It becomes a little tiresome. Trust me!
  9. I bring with me my own professional experiences in mental health, education, health and social care. I have worked and volunteered in these sectors for 20+ years and hope anyone reading this gives me the opportunity to get to know me and my values and principles. 
  10. My family background is unavoidable and so it will occasionally be the focus of an interviewers questions. I don’t set the questions and nor do I want to. I’m sure I will get help delivering leaflets on the run to the election but surely this is ‘normal’ practice. I can’t exactly not include my Dad in my campaign team- it can only be done with the generous support of family and friends.

I think that’s it all covered, sorry if I have missed anything I’ll pop back on here tomorrow to check however, email is my preferred method of contact if anything needs to be brought to my attention urgently. 

In the meantime here are my contact details:

Sarah.Maltby@outlook.com

Fb: Sarah Maltby 

Insta: Sarah_Maltby_IOM

Thanks for reading, if you still are!

Sarah Maltby

Candidate for South Douglas, House of Keys General Election 2021.

Hi Sarah, I’ve only just joined the forum and welcome your Honesty. If I may, can I suggest you don’t dwell or spend too much time on here. A very small minority have a very loud voice but don’t take it seriously. I think you’re right that the 1-1 approach door to door will be where you win votes and I look forward to the MLP policies and manefesto. I applaud anyone standing for local gov or HOK as the stick and abuse you get (as is clear in this forum) is brutal - and I truly believe 99% of people, including yourself, do it for the right reasons. To help people. Make a difference and do good things - not for money or for position. I wish you luck and hope I don’t see you in here too often - it’s not worth your time :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sarah Maltby said:

Hello Manx Forums!

Welcome Sarah. Its a brave move coming on under your own name. Beer Boy's advice is good. Forget MF as a place for getting meaningful comment. Stay away as much as you can and if you're able, get someone to screen the threads for you and pass on any useful feedback. If you read what the haters write you'll quickly become demoralised.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beer Boy said:

Hi Sarah, I’ve only just joined the forum and welcome your Honesty. If I may, can I suggest you don’t dwell or spend too much time on here. A very small minority have a very loud voice but don’t take it seriously. I think you’re right that the 1-1 approach door to door will be where you win votes and I look forward to the MLP policies and manefesto. I applaud anyone standing for local gov or HOK as the stick and abuse you get (as is clear in this forum) is brutal - and I truly believe 99% of people, including yourself, do it for the right reasons. To help people. Make a difference and do good things - not for money or for position. I wish you luck and hope I don’t see you in here too often - it’s not worth your time :) 

You are Dave the Rave and I claim my £5 👍

• Haha 3