General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

The week before the last election there were puff pieces of 'news' complete with photos, of Quayle, one with Cregeen, and another who I forget, but they got in too.

Good ol' Triclie Dickie knows how to pull the strings.

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

When Claire Christian stood everyone was claiming she was related to other Christians involved in politics and that she was hiding the connection and it was a disgrace

To be fair, not "everyone", just dumb-ass Karens on Facebook and newly arrived (last 20 years?) people to the Island.

Even Andy 'Wiki' Wint knew that Claire Christian wasn't of Charlie's blood. As when she become prominent during last lockdown "a correspondent" happened to ask him the question, to which he was keen to matter of factly reply and impart his encyclopedic knowledge of all things Island.

Edited by Barlow

On 1/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, Roxanne said:

I'm genuinely interested to know why you think this?  Are you judging her just because of who her dad is or are you basing it on her past performance, her policies, beliefs etc?

What performance?  What public position has she held, please share.

she will be a puppet of her father.  Reminds me of the Moffat clan passing bat-ton and meal ticket.  

let’s hope some decent candidates step up. Josef shouldn’t be put off by not getting in on first attempt. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, 2112 said:

Are IOM newspapers in the interests of fairness going to be doing features of other prominent members of the Manx Aristocracy - perhaps HRH The Chief Minister? Chris Thomas? Nurse Claire? Or Dafneee? I doubt it somehow. So perhaps it could be assumed that despite all the troubles that this island is having - no TT, no tourists, no travel allowed, COVID-19 restrictions etc, etc, etc, there must have been a serious lack of news content, which Richard Butt could have reported. 

On the other hand perhaps the article was one of those paid for lavatorial, which paints the recipient in such a good light, that the voters of South Douglas will come to their senses in 2021, and kick out Christian and Quine. If there is no news then I’m sure the space could be used for advertising. Or perhaps the articles were a teaser to a forthcoming announcement that David Cretney was taking a shop on Strand Street and reopening Moochers. Thereby creating jobs for his former constituents and providing Douglas Council with much overdue rates? And creating one less eyesore of a empty shop on Strand Street?

I’m very cynical and am wondering why IOM newspapers would devote column inches to an ex ‘failed’ ‘woulda, coulda and shoulda’ politician who held lots of roles but failed to shine in one? 

Well said, smells of daddy calling up favours given in the past, 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 6:12 PM, Barlow said:

To be fair, not "everyone", just dumb-ass Karens on Facebook and newly arrived (last 20 years?) people to the Island.

Even Andy 'Wiki' Wint knew that Claire Christian wasn't of Charlie's blood. As when she become prominent during last lockdown "a correspondent" happened to ask him the question, to which he was keen to matter of factly reply and impart his encyclopedic knowledge of all things Island.

So he knew the answer to a question and was right? How very DARE he be?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grumble said:

So he knew the answer to a question and was right? How very DARE he be?

Yeah, but you know that kid at the back of class/lecture, the smart clever kid, the one that is always asking teacher questions and then delivers the answers. It's a bit like that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beer Boy said:

Why don’t you give the girl a chance everyone. Perhaps she is smart, in touch with the public and has some good ideas for real change? 

I don't disagree

Top tip though, posting this sort of thing within 12 hours of creating your account will draw suspicious comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I don't disagree

Top tip though, posting this sort of thing within 12 hours of creating your account will draw suspicious comments

Most people wait years before their first positive post about a politician?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I don't disagree

I’m sure it will. However I heard about it the other day and thought I’d see what all the fuss was about. I’m amaized at the negativity. There don’t seem to be many solutions to problems on here.