General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

10 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Cretin Cretney  aka self appointed Minister of Fun as in a DJ has nominated his teaching assistant daughter for a ticket on the gravy train he rode so well.
 I have never heard of her which must be why she is knocking on doors so early. 

What constituency?  There were rumours about one of his daughters standing in Douglas South in the past I seem to remember.  But they're right that you need to start early - most seem to think you only need to start six weeks before and then are surprised how long it is to get round the constituency. 

(I make this point every five years.  No one ever takes any notice).

Of course it's also possible that she could be standing for the Council as the elections are in April (Covid willing).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

HOORAY!

Agreed.  He's a bit liberal for me and unfortunately not my constituency. 

I'd vote for him if i could.  He seems pretty switched on and is willing to challenge the establishment. 

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Thought he was moving onto other things?

I think just stepping down from LibVan.  No word of not doing anything political - maybe just as an independent?

I've seen him post on MF before, so maybe he'll comment. 

I wouldn't, because he consistently jumps to conclusions for sets of data that aren't there, oh, and he thinks Brexit and the ending of free movement was a good idea, oh and he thinks minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea, oh, and he's not in any way shape or form a 'liberal'. Oh, yeah, and he's far too sensitive to be a politician.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

What constituency?

South Douglas for the Manx Labour Party.

Hopefully, Devon Watson will stand whatever Douglas East is now called. He's beginning to sound like a leader of the opposition in recent posts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dare I declare it but Josem has gone up in my estimation, on the back of a couple of interviews. One being the weekend debate chaired by Moulton on IoMtv with Stokes from ITV and Robertshaw last November. He said some sensible things (honest!), as did Robertshaw, both being particularly scathing about the egos and power decision-making within government and the debacles of the prom and other projects especially.

He has a bit of independence about him, like that Watson fella. 

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

I'd vote for Josem, purely on the grounds he is as far removed from the old boys club as it is possible to get, and that imo is what we really do need, to move forward !

I was gonna say similar. Him not being 'local' is a potential benefit. 

If i recall he actually did a politics degree or something similar.

• Thanks 1

Didn't he say recently he was going to run a charity or something social and presumably may rely on Government subsidy?

I think he could challenge and make a difference but in the end you have to take everyone with you. Chis Thomas told me that a long time ago. Could Josem take everyone with him? Not sure.

Look forward to seeing these new people attend Tynwald and Douglas council meetings in preparation for their standing, or maybe they don't really need to know what's current. 

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think Josem will be giving it a punt again. 

The people of Douglas South chose the other folks; Unlike folks in America, I respect the results of elections :)

I don't want to absolutely rule out standing for Douglas South again, but it is difficult for me to imagine doing so.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't, because he consistently jumps to conclusions for sets of data that aren't there, oh, and he thinks Brexit and the ending of free movement was a good idea, oh and he thinks minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea, oh, and he's not in any way shape or form a 'liberal'. Oh, yeah, and he's far too sensitive to be a politician.

I think it is good that migrants have jobs sorted out before moving to a new country. That's why, for example, I think the IOM's work permit system (while probably not perfect) is a reasonable starting point. I think that much of the acrimony behind the Brexit debate and referendum could have been avoided if there was a return to the pre-1992 Maastricht treaty change from "free movement of labour" to "free movement of people".

Also, I certainly don't think minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea - I'm all in favour of cheaper beer! 

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Didn't he say recently he was going to run a charity or something social and presumably may rely on Government subsidy?

I certainly do not expect to rely on Government subsidy with my new endeavour.

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Look forward to seeing these new people attend Tynwald and Douglas council meetings in preparation for their standing, or maybe they don't really need to know what's current. 

I'm pretty confident that the best thing about my unsuccessful candidacy for Tynwald last year was avoiding the requirement to attend meetings of Tynwald.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Other than that though...