General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

14 hours ago, Josem said:

I certainly do not expect to rely on Government subsidy with my new endeavour.

Excellent. Then I wish you every success in your venture.

14 hours ago, Josem said:

I think that much of the acrimony behind the Brexit debate and referendum could have been avoided if there was a return to the pre-1992 Maastricht treaty change from "free movement of labour" to "free movement of people".

Totally agree. Converted.

• Like 1

I don’t get this anti David Cretney thing. Like all of us he his not perfect but he has always stuck his head above the parapet and done more good than harm. I wish his daughter well , some of her aims will resonate with voters as well they should.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

I don’t get this anti David Cretney thing. Like all of us he his not perfect but he has always stuck his head above the parapet and done more good than harm. I wish his daughter well , some of her aims will resonate with voters as well they should.

Thanks David...

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

Did DC not give into lots of unions’ demands for high wages in his time ?
Polished  granny farmer , but a weak politician.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Plus not very good at holding on to contracts...

• Haha 4

On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, dilligaf said:

Yes, but most of us got to see Elton John when he came over,

This was mainly due to David, I believe.

I wonder if manx radio still have that interview of david's shock than he had brought tickets

and it might not go ahead.

51 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Yes, but most of us got to see Elton John when he came over,

This was mainly due to David, I believe.

I wonder if manx radio still have that interview of david's shock than he had brought tickets

and it might not go ahead.

‘Most of us’. I don’t think so. 

On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, dilligaf said:

Imagine being against workers being paid properly instead of the fatcat at the top siphoning it all off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I am sure she is a perfectly lovely lady, but for me she is the old boys club in a frock !

I noticed how she seems to think that because MLP has two ‘councillors’ elected that it makes them a viable party. Why didn’t Sarah Maltby stand for council if she really believes so passionately about the MLP, and her father, the exalted and saintly David Cretney. Or is it a case that the MLP think that words MLP and the figure of David Cretney on the campaign trail, offering pearls of wisdom and the opportunity to buy cheap tat, will get them out into the voting booth, propelling his daughter to potential years of government reliance, and a ‘family seat’ at the table, to be gifted to the next generation of Manx Labour Party members. Who says chumocracy, nepotism, and  cronyism isn’t dead. 

Incidentally David Cretney isn’t exactly a decrepit old man, he likes to reminisce as a member of the ‘when I’ club, he could have quite easily have stood for reelection as a Member of the Legislative Council - unless he was afraid of not garnering enough votes from his ‘peers’? Another 5 years of hardly strenuous and mentally taxing work. Or is his daughter his legacy?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

the opportunity to buy cheap tat,

At least 50% of my wardrobe was bought there. Still going strong much of it. And the tools in my garage.