TT 2022 ??

Barlow

3 hours ago, paswt said:

It's true that the  VMCC were looking at 'doing something ' at either MGP or Southern 100 . 

ETA.  Vintage Mann News (the local branch VMCC mag) reports :-

"Members of your committee met up with members of the Department for Enterprise just prior to Christmas to discuss a raft of issues and ideas we thought might be of interest. Yet again we came away feeling very frustrated and frankly disappointed  with the governments response".

" We were looking at developing a new event to coincide with the Southern 100 ..... Rob insisted July was far too busy and we should focus our attention to developing new events in the autumn and winter months " 

" I could go on but what's the point"

Sorry Rob but after the Scoreboard / public consultation fiasco I'm inclined to believe the people who successfully ran 'Jurby Day' (until the powers that be decided to spear it ) . just saying.:flowers:

Eloquently put, and a well written post.

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Thought it was £5million? Unless that’s £2.5millions of taxpayers cash and additional monies from bequests squandered?

There was one report that said they planned to get £2.5m from sponsors and other sources. 

Actually looking at it now it looks like they're going to ask Tynwald for a straight £5m.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

There was one report that said they planned to get £2.5m from sponsors and other sources. 

Actually looking at it now it looks like they're going to ask Tynwald for a straight £5m.

They have said they were using some of the proceeds of a bequest. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Surely you can find a corporate sponsor for that. Or is it that expensive that even sponsors can't afford it?

There always seems to be an expectation from so-called fans that the TT remains pure from corporate funding or association and that the taxpayer should pay for everything. I think the taxpayer has other priorities for their money, but let’s see what the guardians of our cash in Treasury believe..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

According to the data, the islands tourism sector is extremely busy in June, July & August….. our focus is around starting the season earlier and extended it beyond September 

You've heard of the seasons yeah ? Spring/Summer, Autumn/Winter motorcycling is a summer activity. 

There must be a fantastic new event planned 3/4th Sept to make up for lost bed nights at MGP

5 minutes ago, joebean said:

There always seems to be an expectation from so-called fans that the TT remains pure from corporate funding or association and that the taxpayer should pay for everything. I think the taxpayer has other priorities for their money, but let’s see what the guardians of our cash in Treasury believe..

Yes but for every pound we put in we get a hundred back blaa blaa blaa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

You've heard of the seasons yeah ? Spring/Summer, Autumn/Winter motorcycling is a summer activity. 

There must be a fantastic new event planned 3/4th Sept to make up for lost bed nights at MGP

Motorcycle Road Racing under Street Lighting. There will need to be loads of new lighting erected along the TT course. Bang will go the beloved Bisphere status.

12 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

The public consultation around the TT scoreboard was fine and we have definitely listened to all the views submitted….

The main issue at the moment is trying to get treasury to support our funding application, which has been very difficult. 

I think that it is true to say that the majority of opinions on the local FB sites were in favour of repairing/restoring the original scoreboard and taking it down and storing it at the close of the racing season , as was done in the past.

I would be interested to see the evidence for your assertion that "the public consultation was fine".

I was saddened that you chose to destroy the scoreboard , apart, allegedly, of a bit of it which may be exhibited at the museum in future years , particularly as (I'm told) the museum at Jurby offered to display the entire scoreboard.

I have not seen the proposed plans for the new scoreboard  but presumably it will only confirm the race information  folk can access on their mobile phones .

I note that you assured the scouts  that they would be involved in the operation of the new scoreboard , perhaps you could confirm that is  still the case and provide further details.

Frankly , as a long standing road racing enthusiast/marshal I cannot see the expense of an all singing/dancing scoreboard  justifiable as those viewing the racing around the course can get the information on a cheap radio .

Hope this helps, just saying:flowers:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Not strictly true, corporate funding has it's place,  however what some TT/MGP fans have difficulty with is the Gov concentrating on catering for the corporate/VIP lobby , eg with VIP car rides during racing .

I'll admit I have paid for and participated in a few "Parade Laps" on vintage machinery during MGP but given the popularity of "Jurby Day" I would argue ( why wouldn't I ?😂) that many , perhaps older visitors , enjoy seeing the old bikes parading (allbeit by "old wobblers" ) like me .