General TV stuff

Chinahand

I thought the last episode of Line of Duty was disappointing. In fact the whole series was a bit tired with very little originality. 

But it got huge ratings. 

Strange contradictions; we are meant to be living in a Golden Age of TV with Netflix et al spending multiple millions and everyone upping their game to compete but something rather mediocre is a huge ratings hit. 

4 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I thought the last episode of Line of Duty was disappointing.

Totally agree. The endless promotion though through the BBC and press jumping on the "who is H ?" bandwagon during a lockdown gave it a captive audience. A bit like who shot JR or Mr Burns it captured something.

I think they should leave it there now. No more spins offs or next series. 

Unfortunately, like many other shows, they seem to be aiming for awards rather than delivering the goods. The whole build up to revealing who H was ...ridiculous, pointless, drawn out and over dramatised. 

There are so many good things on the tv these days, Netflix is brilliant, Youtube even knows the bands I like and makes playlists for me on my terrorvision. I've just finished watching the Irregulars, the first episode is a bit meh but after that - boom boom boom, spot on. 

What the new Alan Partridge thing called? This Time - absolutely f'ing hilarious I don't even like him but this is gold, love it. 

• 5 months later...

I've been watching Para Platoon on Amazon Prime as my blob TV. Note the irony in blobbing on the sofa watching a group of young men going through one of the most grueling experiences. 

At their passing out parade the lead recruit read this written by Montgomery and it struck a chord:

What Manner Of Men Are These That Wear The Maroon Beret?

They are firstly all volunteers and are toughened by physical training. As a result they have infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from well-being. They have 'jumped' from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of the battle. They are proud of this honour. They have the highest standards in all things whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They are in fact - men apart - every man an emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the maroon beret

Bernard Montgomery

The phrase "infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from well-being" is thought provoking. Young men, fit, confident ready to take on the world. 

So Squid Game?

Kids totally hooked. 

Me, I've sort of watched 1.5 episodes while doing other things and thought it quite clever if over violent. 

Is this much blood and gore necessary? 

It's ok, but Netflix's biggest hit?  I'm s bit confused. Should I watch more, noting with the amount of gore it contains I need to find TV time separate to the Missus TV time, which is more challenging, especially now the kids have watched most of it!

On 10/18/2021 at 5:14 PM, Chinahand said:

So Squid Game?

Kids totally hooked. 

Me, I've sort of watched 1.5 episodes while doing other things and thought it quite clever if over violent. 

Is this much blood and gore necessary? 

It's ok, but Netflix's biggest hit?  I'm s bit confused. Should I watch more, noting with the amount of gore it contains I need to find TV time separate to the Missus TV time, which is more challenging, especially now the kids have watched most of it!

Squid Game - a bit of light relief after Colonation Street, Enderdale and Deadenders.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

“Once upon a time in Northern Ireland” ( BBC 2 i player)

If you thought you had seen or read every thing about The Troubles and understood it, you would need to think about it again after watching this series. I did

There is  footage that certainly I’ve never seen in any previous documentaries or programmes about the subject. Very sobering honest interviews with some of the participants on all sides.

It is sometimes disturbing viewing but very well produced and does drag you into the reality of those times in that place.

I would recommend it

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:13 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

“Once upon a time in Northern Ireland” ( BBC 2 i player)

If you thought you had seen or read every thing about The Troubles and understood it, you would need to think about it again after watching this series. I did

There is  footage that certainly I’ve never seen in any previous documentaries or programmes about the subject. Very sobering honest interviews with some of the participants on all sides.

It is sometimes disturbing viewing but very well produced and does drag you into the reality of those times in that place.

I would recommend it

Better still ask somebody (if you can) who served there during the “troubles”

20 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Better still ask somebody (if you can) who served there during the “troubles”

Well yes of course. But there are a whole lot of angles to this from all sides.  I’ve deliberately watched this with as much as a detached view as I could.

One particular chilling moment was mothers  ( three I think) being interviewed who said that if their daughters had been having a liaison with British soldiers they would gladly hand them over to the those who  would tie them to a lamppost and tar and feather them.

There are conversations with paramilitaries from both sides who joined up at the ages of 16 or 17 and did what they were asked to do.

Horrific, yet fascinating viewing

• Like 1

Just watching the first five minutes of this should convince any rational person just how mad and utterly stupid the whole period of the Troubles was. A beautiful country and beautiful people torn apart by dreamers, jackboot ideologues and thugs with their guns and bombs. Thank Christ the whole thing is hopefully over but it took a lot of blood and heartbreak for some to see sense. The few idiots who are still out there need to grow up. Virtually every country in history has a legacy of settlement, movement, displacement, conflict, and people learning to co-exist and live peacefully together through acceptance of different cultures and traditions. That acceptance can be the making of a country and a nation.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:04 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

Just watching the first five minutes of this should convince any rational person just how mad and utterly stupid the whole period of the Troubles was. A beautiful country and beautiful people torn apart by dreamers, jackboot ideologues and thugs with their guns and bombs. Thank Christ the whole thing is hopefully over but it took a lot of blood and heartbreak for some to see sense. The few idiots who are still out there need to grow up. Virtually every country in history has a legacy of settlement, movement, displacement, conflict, and people learning to co-exist and live peacefully together through acceptance of different cultures and traditions. That acceptance can be the making of a country and a nation.

You'd like to think it was over. If it was, the IRA would have surrendered all their arms and ammunition not just the old knackered stuff