Ayre & Michael

On 6/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, Fluffy123 said:

There are very few large corporations here that will be impacted by this. It’s a non issue for the Island

There are two strands to the G7 agreement AFAIK:

1. Concerns large corporations and where their profits are taxed.

2. Sets a minimum rate of corporation tax.

The second point certainly would affect the island. If my understanding of what has been agreed is correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pongo said:

There are two strands to the G7 agreement AFAIK:

1. Concerns large corporations and where their profits are taxed.

2. Sets a minimum rate of corporation tax.

The second point certainly would affect the island. If my understanding of what has been agreed is correct.

I don’t see how 2.is possible to enforce. It’s like America telling is our income tax rate. We are self governing and can set our own tax rate by law. The former is different. It’s a standard for companies that are pan- jurisdictional. 

4 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

I don’t see how 2.is possible to enforce. It’s like America telling is our income tax rate..

If the G7, G20 and OECD adopt a policy then the island might technically perhaps be able to chose not to implement the thing. But the companies involved would not want to be registered in a pirate state.

Five candidates and not a single reason to venture out to the polling station on election day. Aa far as I can make out it is the usual mish-mash of vague promises that cannot be kept; candidates with no record of excellence; membership of silly "political parties"; no commitment to meaningful political reform and no ideas that make me sit up and feel enthused about their candidacy. Another beauty pageant for the unattractive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Here's a reason; just to vote for someone, anyone, other than Baker.

There is that.. but there will be many voters who will do it. His candidacy is a gift to the others.

Edited by joebean

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...