Rushen

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Skelly will become President as too many Tynwald members dislike Watterson’s clever-arseness.

And they prefer the guy who's clearly parroting stuff he researched the night before? 

3 hours ago, 747-400 said:

I thought he came across surprisingly well. Has more external and worldly experience. 

It's not really a role that requires much external experience, other than liasing with other Parliamentarians and Watterson has more of that. Skelly trotted out his business experience in America in his first hustings for MHK for Rushen. Doesn't seem to have been much help to him in the DofE. 

They represent my constituency, and I voted for them both once in the 5 times I've had the chance, neither last time. Watterson has been a better constituency MHK. Was more effective as a back-bencher, and as minister (though Skelly's set that bar low). And has the experience of doing a similar role as Speaker. 

The best argument for Skelly is that President might be a bit of a waste of Watterson. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Declan said:

And they prefer the guy who's clearly parroting stuff he researched the night before?

Yes. Not because Skelly has any ability, but because, like 99% of Manx politics, this decision will be based on matters of personality, not logic, reason or evidence. Too many of them regard Watterson as the class know-all. And CoMin will, I would say, lobby against him. Quayle made his position clear.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Yes. Not because Skelly has any ability, but because, like 99% of Manx politics, this decision will be based on matters of personality, not logic, reason or evidence. Too many of them regard Watterson as the class know-all. And CoMin will, I would say, lobby against him. Quayle made his position clear.

It's a bit daft that Quayle is in a position to influence this choice - he's not going to be in Tynwald for most the next President's term. 

They may want Skelly (and so do some of his constituents as he is not very visible as an MHK, but actually they and we  actually need Watterson in there to preside. 

I have seen the last 2 years or so actually how much work and time and energy Watterson gives to constituents (health services complaint - never gave up). Young family notwithstanding.

Its a conundrum as there hasn't been anyone so far on the radar with anywhere near the quality of knowledge, skills and experience Watterson has. (forget Heywood). Watterson is well liked down South.

Its a conundrum. 

1 minute ago, Declan said:

It's a bit daft that Quayle is in a position to influence this choice - he's not going to be in Tynwald for most the next President's term. 

It’s daft. Bill S has already said he is not standing. And I guess a couple of the current MHKs will lose their seat. Why not wait till September. 

But from what I learnt yesterday, it will probably need a change to Standing Orders 😊