Rushen

On 7/14/2021 at 7:44 AM, triskelion said:

Where he talks about investigations on his own time and the taxpayer savings; does anyone know what he’s actually referring to?

No, but I would like to know more.

Whats his phone number or email address.?

They do say get in touch, ask questions, but I don't do Facebook or Instagram.

2 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

But from what I learnt yesterday, it will probably need a change to Standing Orders 😊

please can you explain why ?

5 hours ago, 747-400 said:

But from what I learnt yesterday, it will probably need a change to Standing Orders 😊

Actually it would need a change to the Constitution Act 1990, which says the election has to be five years after the previous term started and then set things up so it was held just before an election.  It's basically about giving one of your mates a nice well-paid part-time job when they think the electorate will chuck them out or they can't be bothered to face the voters again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Declan said:

It's a bit daft that Quayle is in a position to influence this choice - he's not going to be in Tynwald for most the next President's term. 

Well looking more broadly it’s a bit daft that Tynwald saw fit to allow Quayle to influence anything more significant that the choice of toilet roll.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Skelly will become President as too many Tynwald members dislike Watterson’s clever-arseness.

You might not be far from the mark there, but then it will be amusing as watterson would make minister again, so I doubt he would care but he would stir the pot for Skelly. 

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I do sometimes wonder if that’s what matters to most of them. There are good people who do want to make a difference but truly, just look at that pair and ask yourself of their motive. 

It's both. It doesn't really matter what the initial driver is, it ends up the same.

Those motivated by status or ambition will want to do what's best for promotion and when they can't be promoted any more they look to gongs, plaques and how their legacy is perceived.

Those motivated by public service are also egotists otherwise they would just do a fun run or work in a Charity Shop. They believe they know what's best (and if they're an  Independent - only them) and need promotion, status etc. to achieve that. 

The difference in reality is only the difference between Tony Blair and Gordon Brown or David Cameron and John Major. 

• Like 1

I have now seen how hard Watterson works. He is a clever and shrewd politician but can and does make a huge difference., a lot of it behind the scenes. I really wish he would stay as an MHK, but he would make the right President for what we need right now.

Tynwald desperately needs reform. He knows which buttons need pressing, he has the leverage and the knowhow to get things changed. He still has the passion for that I believe. 

Skelly unfortunately has not had the range of experience and does not have the wider knowledge and expertise Watterson has. I actually wish he would stay on but get much more involved in constituency stuff. Nice chap though. He would be good in Home Affairs I reckon. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:33 AM, Uhtred said:

Skelly will become President as too many Tynwald members dislike Watterson’s clever-arseness.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  Although Skelly might get the CoMin vote and their few hangers on like Perkins, LegCo also get to vote and they currently tend to ignore the CoMin line.  Greenhill[1] is the only reliable CoMin vote plus possibly Henderson (who can be a bit maverick) and the Bishop.  Also it's a secret ballot, I think, so anything could happen.

[1]  Who has been there for over a year and made so little impact that I'm only just now adding him to the spellchecker.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  Although Skelly might get the CoMin vote and their few hangers on like Perkins, LegCo also get to vote and they currently tend to ignore the CoMin line.  Greenhill[1] is the only reliable CoMin vote plus possibly Henderson (who can be a bit maverick) and the Bishop.  Also it's a secret ballot, I think, so anything could happen.

[1]  Who has been there for over a year and made so little impact that I'm only just now adding him to the spellchecker.

You may be right Roger, and one does suspect that the gravitation pull of CoMin is at its lowest ever ebb. Lots of them do think that Watterson is a whopper however, so it’s all to play for!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...