Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man

Amadeus

• 10 months later...

Well, what with the commonly offered half price hardware available from Currys I have just got a local satellite/aerial installers round to provide estimate, which i know will eat up all the half price saving, but still looking forward to foregoing a landline 🙂

30 minutes ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Well, what with the commonly offered half price hardware available from Currys I have just got a local satellite/aerial installers round to provide estimate, which i know will eat up all the half price saving, but still looking forward to foregoing a landline 🙂

Ours is just mounted at ground level and with a single hole drilled through the wall to the router.

Cost nothing and took half an hour, depends if you have an appropriate spot with no obstructions though.

36 minutes ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

If you don’t mind please let us know the installers estimate, thinking of signing up myself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Ours is just mounted at ground level and with a single hole drilled through the wall to the router.

Cost nothing and took half an hour, depends if you have an appropriate spot with no obstructions though.

I expect the quote to be £250-£350 which is a lot for putting up an extension pole and drilling a hole to put lead for router through, then letting the app position the receiver dish. Like you from the sound of it, we have absolutely no obstructions, but am not particularly technical 🙂 Anyone offering services though would be suitably rewarded - LOL!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, quilp said:

If you don’t mind please let us know the installers estimate, thinking of signing up myself. 

Surely that would be entirely dependant on your house?

To do a Dandara house where the upstairs bedroom with power points straight where the dish needs to go with no obstructions is a single hole drilled through a block wall and mounting the dish say £150

A 150 year old terraced house with no power easily accessible and a dish that needs installing on a Manx stone wall with cable threaded through the house to a workable router location could be over a thousand.

Someone else’s quote is completely meaningless unless maybe it’s your next door neighbour.

Edited by Anthony Ingham

19 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Surely that would be entirely dependant on your house?

To do a Dandara house where the upstairs bedroom with power points straight where the dish needs to go with no obstructions is a single hole drilled through a block wall and mounting the dish say £150

A 150 year old terraced house with no power easily accessible and a dish that needs installing on a Manx stone wall with cable threaded through the house to a workable router location could be over a thousand.

Someone else’s quote is completely meaningless unless maybe it’s your next door neighbour.

Did I ask you to butt in and state the obvious? I can do all the internal requirements and most of the external, including fitting the dish, as I did years ago when Cleervu provided an expensive quote. Once they'd called and identified the optimum placement for where the dish was going I did all of the installation myself then had a mate in the trade put a meter on it to zero it in. Bingo, cost me fuck all...

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Did I ask you to butt in and state the obvious? I can do all the internal requirements and most of the external, including fitting the dish, as I did years ago when Cleervu provided an expensive quote. Once they'd called and identified the optimum placement for where the dish was going I did all of the installation myself then had a mate in the trade put a meter on it to zero it in. Bingo, cost me fuck all...

So why ask for a random price from someone elses house?  How bizarre?

Sounds like you will do it yourself anyway.  The app tells you the best place to put it and does all the alignment so if you are doing all that you allay you will do, you don’t need any input from anyone at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

What a tiresome, over-opinionated and obsessive twat you are.

FFS

I want to have my entire house redecorated  and the drive done.

Can you tell me how much a quote would be to do the same at your place?

It no more stupid than what you asked.

4 hours ago, quilp said:

I bought the kit from starlink installed myself with cable just running out of the door to begin with, bingo Internet less then 5 mins later. A few days later hole drilled through wall and reroute cable and all done. Dead easy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

The thing that surprises me about Starlink is that it is apparently entirely legal for a private company to shit-up the night sky with a trail of satellites.

You can see them then with your eye or even a telescope they are not like the International Space thingy you know, have you even talked to an Astronomer about it

30 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You can see them then with your eye or even a telescope they are not like the International Space thingy you know, have you even talked to an Astronomer about it

Not entirely sure what this word salad is, but yes you can see them with an unaided eye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1