Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man

Amadeus

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Even the Telegraph has reported it. Obviously not big enough news for the local press with the Southern Show being on this weekend.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2021/07/31/elon-musk-sets-isle-man-blanket-britain-starlink-broadband/

That is the telegraph article, but linked via Archive because paywall. 

Their ISP licence is here:

https://www.cura.im/licence-holders/licences/starlink-internet-services-limited/

• Like 2

If true then this is great news.  An example of how the island should really be pushing onto the world stage.

Now invite them to use us as a test ground for autonomous vehicles and get the PR machine rolling.

Watched the latest Grand Tour special filmed in lockdown yesterday and it just struck me as another missed opportunity.  Great shots of Scotland and huge worldwide audience and we were open most of last summer and they could have come here.  Our government should be all over stuff like this, there are enough of them.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

If true then this is great news.  An example of how the island should really be pushing onto the world stage.

Now invite them to use us as a test ground for autonomous vehicles and get the PR machine rolling.

Watched the latest Grand Tour special filmed in lockdown yesterday and it just struck me as another missed opportunity.  Great shots of Scotland and huge worldwide audience and we were open most of last summer and they could have come here.  Our government should be all over stuff like this, there are enough of them.

It is great news but hopefully let’s not get too carried away, let’s get planning out the way and see what permanent jobs are created. SES satellite base is still here but it’s operated remotely. 

I do hope our politicos are kept away, someone is bound to screw things up or act all parish pump.

I hope that the 5G service can be rolled out here, hopefully affecting Manx Telecom and its woeful service. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No chance. They'll want somewhere with predictable, mostly straightforward roads (i.e. motorways etc).

They will want the exact opposite.  The island is ideal for trialing all sorts of new tech.

Small and compact. Easy to monitor. Ability to quickly adapt or implement legislation. Decent demographic. Reasonably diverse topology. Etc etc.