Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man

Amadeus

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

There is quite a sizeable team tasked with this.

https://www.digitalisleofman.com/about-us/team/

Some of those people are incredibly talented, hard working and astute, well connected and well respected.

Some of them are on a right cushy number.

Yes it’s quite a team. 

Whilst it’s plausible that Digital Isle of Man may or not have done some work getting Starlink to the island, the results will be if there are jobs created. If it’s a remote facility then all the filing fees and other fees will go towards paying salaries at the Starship Enterprise. Sadly modern technology gives with one hand and takes with another.

31 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do they? I've tried hard to find the brochures that sell the benefits of 'safe green digital Isle of Man' and I struggle to find them

Previously I asked you what you actually mean by "green digital" in an IOM context (beyond marketing) and your response was, at best, fuzzy. It sounds nice but what do you mean practically?

Let's be clear. Today's tech runs on AWS, Azure and Google for the most part. Cloudflare and similar are also hugely important. Sites and services are seldom geographically local. Typically they are distributed. Increasingly powered by solar. Not here.

Any IOM advantage will be around legal structures, taxation and lifestyle - especially with respect to the ability to work from home (the government has been right to fund the fibre roll out).

The island is a great place to work from. The client can be anywhere. The client's services will likely be hosted elsewhere.

People working from home or using their bike is certainly greener than people driving to work. So perhaps you mean "... green, digital" rather than "green digital".

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

What do we actually have to offer?

The sky? A couple of submarine cables to the UK and Ireland? Being in the middle? That's the reason Starlink are setting up some kit on the island.

We don't encourage knowledge and skill retention on the Island.

There's actually some answers in the Telegraph piece that Amadeus put up at the start of the topic:

Transmitting from the Isle of Man to its satellite network would allow Starlink, a subsidiary of Mr Musk’s SpaceX, to take advantage of the island’s less crowded airwaves, which are awarded separately from the UK’s.
The company was the only one to express an interest in multiple spectrum bands, the island’s regulator said.
Ofcom said in a recent consultation that it was in the final stage of issuing a licence for a satellite station on the island, believed to refer to Starlink.

An ISP licence was actually issued back in January, though whether anyone will use it here is another matter, particularly with the roll out of fibre-optic.  It's not cheap, though oddly enough the only place I have seen the prices advertised for is on the the Isle of .. Wight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

There is quite a sizeable team tasked with this.

https://www.digitalisleofman.com/about-us/team/

Some of those people are incredibly talented, hard working and astute, well connected and well respected.

Some of them are on a right cushy number.

And there is the islands problem in one post

"Cushy number"

That crab attitude has held the island back for generations and it is still a thing.

That along with the "Boat in the Morning" attitude and the island is destined to sink in a pool of its own infected  green eyed puss.

FFS Space X are investing here, let them take the first born of every family for the next year as food if it makes them stay and expand, it would be worth it.

Or we can do the normal crabby inbred sh1t and make it hard for them to work here, then try and set up a government department in competition.  

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's actually some answers in the Telegraph piece that Amadeus put up at the start of the topic:

Transmitting from the Isle of Man to its satellite network would allow Starlink, a subsidiary of Mr Musk’s SpaceX, to take advantage of the island’s less crowded airwaves, which are awarded separately from the UK’s.
The company was the only one to express an interest in multiple spectrum bands, the island’s regulator said.
Ofcom said in a recent consultation that it was in the final stage of issuing a licence for a satellite station on the island, believed to refer to Starlink.

An ISP licence was actually issued back in January, though whether anyone will use it here is another matter, particularly with the roll out of fibre-optic.  It's not cheap, though oddly enough the only place I have seen the prices advertised for is on the the Isle of .. Wight.

There are already people on the Island using Starlink, it's about 90 quid a month, but, if you're working from home, or out in the sticks it can make all the difference. It's also allegedly going to get cheaper as the platform matures.

I think one speedtest I'd seen from over here was getting 300+ down. But even a reliable 50-100 megs is a night and day upgrade from being on a spotty connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

And there is the islands problem in one post

"Cushy number"

That crab attitude has held the island back for generations and it is still a thing.

That along with the "Boat in the Morning" attitude and the island is destined to sink in a pool of its own infected  green eyed puss.

FFS Space X are investing here, let them take the first born of every family for the next year as food if it makes them stay and expand, it would be worth it.

Or we can do the normal crabby inbred sh1t and make it hard for them to work here, then try and set up a government department in competition.  

Did you even read my post?

Some of the people at digital iom are phenomenal business people and very highly accomplished.

Some of them…. Aren’t .

How on earth is that a crab attitude?  I literally applauded the guys there who are all over this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've got it.  Last time I checked the national broadband roll out scheme I was 2-3 years away from it being installed in my area.  The only other options available to my address are ADSL @6Mbps or 4G which I was using.

I've had a couple of moments where service is disrupted, maybe three minutes a day every few days but overall I can't fault it.  Speeds are typically around 200Mbps give or take for myself and, unlike the 4G Sure 'Unlimited' service, it is is genuinely unlimited.

P

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Satellite both ways.

The satellites are much closer to the ground and much more densely packed to make things work better.

I guess they’re too low to be geostationary? Hadn’t appreciated a home dish or whatever would transmit back to a moving satellite. Quite cool tech