Flavours on Broadway

war baby

For some time I have meant to give a shout out for the spotlessly clean fully licensed Indian restaurant Flavours at the lower left (if going downhill) part of Broadway more or less opposite the Villa Marina gates.  I mentioned it under another topic, but here I give it its own title.  When I last looked it had a perfect row of full stars on TripAdvisor.

Unlike most Indian establishments, this one has a specials board where chef Kunal lists his dishes of the day, often based on local Manx produce.  Also unusually, he will prepare any dish you request, subject to a bit of notice to get the ingredients.  You may have known him when he founded Kurries and Steaks a long ago.

As the name suggests, his target is 'flavour' which he imparts to his generous servings in full.  I have eaten here many times since he took over the place just before the pandemic.  It's a bit tucked away, just up from the tattoo parlour next to the tiny lane in the first of the Victorian Sherwood Terrace.  Don't confuse this with the standard nasty Indian brown mudge food.  Flavours would not embarrass itself in Mayfair, Bermondsey, Mumbai or New York.

It's a penny or two extra, but treat yourself.  He does accurate and prompt take outs too.  Check the specials, let me know what you think.  Am I wrong?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good shout. It's easily the best Indian I've had on the IOM, and at least as good as any I've had elsewhere. The menu is short, with few "traditional" dishes (i.e. no Madras or Vindaloo, or even Balti) but as you say you can ask for pretty much anything. First class, both for eating in or takeaway/delivery. It was the Millennium Saagar there before, was it not? (Can't remember what it was before that.)

Edited by Sheldon
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 6:57 PM, war baby said:

For some time I have meant to give a shout out for the spotlessly clean fully licensed Indian restaurant Flavours at the lower left (if going downhill) part of Broadway more or less opposite the Villa Marina gates.  I mentioned it under another topic, but here I give it its own title.  When I last looked it had a perfect row of full stars on TripAdvisor.

Unlike most Indian establishments, this one has a specials board where chef Kunal lists his dishes of the day, often based on local Manx produce.  Also unusually, he will prepare any dish you request, subject to a bit of notice to get the ingredients.  You may have known him when he founded Kurries and Steaks a long ago.

As the name suggests, his target is 'flavour' which he imparts to his generous servings in full.  I have eaten here many times since he took over the place just before the pandemic.  It's a bit tucked away, just up from the tattoo parlour next to the tiny lane in the first of the Victorian Sherwood Terrace.  Don't confuse this with the standard nasty Indian brown mudge food.  Flavours would not embarrass itself in Mayfair, Bermondsey, Mumbai or New York.

It's a penny or two extra, but treat yourself.  He does accurate and prompt take outs too.  Check the specials, let me know what you think.  Am I wrong?

Was he definitely the founder of K&S as opposed to just the chef? I know the guy who owns it along with another venue on Prospect Hill and that's not my understanding.

Not an expert.

Regardless everything you say about the current place is spot on. A very nice restaurant. I don't believe it's on the level you state with the named areas but it is certainly one of the best Indian restaurants on the Isle of Man. 

I bow to your probably superior knowledge of K&S, but not my comments otherwise.  I have tried Michelin starred Indian restaurants and have been disappointed.  Its a subjective view, but I think Flavours holds up well.  It's amazing for here.

Admittedly the location is a bit secret, but its worth finding.  Few if any disagree.

5 hours ago, war baby said:

I bow to your probably superior knowledge of K&S, but not my comments otherwise.  I have tried Michelin starred Indian restaurants and have been disappointed.  Its a subjective view, but I think Flavours holds up well.  It's amazing for here.

Admittedly the location is a bit secret, but its worth finding.  Few if any disagree.

You make a wild comparison then say ‘it’s amazing for here’. Like i said it’s a good restaurant but no more than that. 

For me there aren’t any restaurants here which aren’t significantly bettered in any major city in the U.K.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:42 PM, jackwhite said:

Had a takeaway from here last week.

Garlic chilli chicken was the main meal. Wasn't good. Very oily and not particularly tasty.

I agree..Their meat dishes are just about okay and not exceptional.

Their best dishes are the vegetarian sides like their saag paneer / Bombay potato  etc . All of the veg sides are good ..

• 5 months later...

Forgot to add:

Taxi driver home on Saturday mentioned that him and a few other Eastern European drivers get together weekly for a meal, usually a Curry.  After much trial and error, they have settled on Flavours as the best option in Douglas. 

Did note that the Orange Indya is probably better for a 'romantic couple Curry' but Flavours is better for a meal with the boys. 

• Like 1