What's going on with MT Fibre?

Just looking at the different ISP providers for Fibre, and there are some odd discrepancies between them.

Take the below, which is Manx Telecom

image.thumb.png.c27957f6f67307f8115f2e2edc12401f.png#

They are stating that if you pay for what is (i assume) the 500Mb package as an example, the average speed you will receive would be 185Mbps? For £72.80 a month?

Even more ludicrous is the basic package, which (again i assume) is the 100Mb (similar to VDSL's current offerings) which would be an estimated average of 29Mbps for £57 a month!!!

Who would be happy paying £72.80 a month for a 500Mb service, when you're only likely to average 185Mb at peak times?  Worse than what some people on VDSL 200Mb are seeing? Imagine paying for Gigabit fibre and only getting 400Mb?

Now compare to what Wi-Manx show below

image.thumb.png.1adb0247f5256361fe002314956bc930.png

All a bit confusing really

Edited by somewhatdamaged

Different prices but also different speeds?  It used to be that all providers sold exactly the same packages (well speeds)

100,200,500,1Gb

My mate pays £57 for 200Mb with WiManx and thats pretty much a constant speed, and yet MT charge £72 for something that averages 185Mb

3 hours ago, somewhatdamaged said:

Different prices but also different speeds?  It used to be that all providers sold exactly the same packages (well speeds)

100,200,500,1Gb

My mate pays £57 for 200Mb with WiManx and thats pretty much a constant speed, and yet MT charge £72 for something that averages 185Mb

I suppose the obvious thing to do would be to go with WiManx then

There is no 1Gb package for MT anymore, they post the average speeds at peak times rather than the max obtainable speeds. So the average peak for a 500mbps profile is 475mbps for £100 per month.

telco’s are supposed to be advertising real speeds at peak rather than up to or max obtainable but I don’t think it has been pushed through the coms commission yet.

Cheers Immortal, that makes more sense then when you remove the Gb profile!

Still weird that MT would price themselves higher than the other ISPs, normally they are all within a couple of quid of each other

For the 500Mb as an example:-

Sure - £82

MT - £100.31

Wi-Manx - £83.40

It’s a different proposition. MT now have on site configuration, maintained mesh and a rented router as part of their contract.

I have seen some ISP’s in Europe doing this where they support the end users home network which is a very different model than not supporting anything beyond the socket or demarcation point.

Edited by immortalpuppet

12 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

not supporting anything beyond the socket or demarcation point.

Which is exactly what Manx Telecom have been doing for the last 30 years, so I wouldn't expect too much from their new enthusiasm for support.

I agree the prices and speeds quoted are confusing. One fool-proof way to decipher any advertising bollocks from MT is to expect what you get to be much crapper than they say, expect the customer service to be shite and expect very soon the price to be considerably higher than they said it would be without notice.

That way in any dealings with them you won't be far wrong.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

telco’s are supposed to be advertising real speeds at peak rather than up to or max obtainable but I don’t think it has been pushed through the coms commission yet.

It's come to something when MT's advertising is more moral than the others.

I used to live in the wilds of Ronague where our next door neighbour was a little old lady who could no longer drive. Her family were all across and she used to rely on her landline to keep in touch with them and also a friend who used to do her shopping. There was no mobile signal at her house or ours.

We called in on her one Saturday and she was quite upset because her phone wasn't working, so when I got home I gave MT a call. After being on hold for a good half hour I was informed that I couldn't report a fault on her line as I was not the account holder. I explained the situation but they wouldn't budge, giving data protection as the reason.

I had to go to the old lady's house and load her into the car in the pissing rain for the short drive to my house. Another half hour on hold and she was able to report the fault - but here's the thing, their refusal to allow me to do it was nothing to do with data protection, it was so they could get her to agree to a £120 odd call out charge if the fault turned out to be in the house!

Anyway all was good, the fault was logged and she went home to await them fixing it, the week went by but there was no sign of them, so I duly loaded her into the car round to ours again to chase them up. They said that the reason they had taken so long was her service agreement with them, they suggested that she upgrade to the next level so they would fix it more quickly. At this point I did again point out her circumstances and the fact that she'd been a customer for 50 odd years but they weren't interested in anything but the colour of her money.

She decided, as the next service level was only a few pounds per month extra, to upgrade meaning faults would be repaired within a week. The next day they fixed the fault without coming to the house so she was happy enough.

Two or three years later her phone went dead again, so once again we went through the same performance to report it - over a week went by, no sign of them, despite her paying the extra monthly charge for years, we complained - their response was to refund one month of the charge!

This is a little old lady who's been a customer of theirs for 50 years. They charge her £2 per month just to send her a bill. In her time of need they used the opportunity to charge her for a higher level of service which they had no intention of honouring.

MT would have you believe they are big shot world class communications provider. IMHO they are a bunch of chancer crooks who are no better than someone who'd rob you in the street.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 12:18 PM, quilp said:

You do get 3months free, and to keep our landline on incoming calls only was £20. 6-8 weeks wait though. MT quoted me 2 weeks for the 'Essential' contract. The new router arrived in the post 4 days after we signed-up...

MT threw in a free booster to my detached garage when we got Fibre a few weeks ago which I thought was pretty good.