Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

On 12/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, CrazyDave said:

Who still listens to local radio in a world where you have access to thousands of stations and can even skip songs now if one comes on the radio that you don’t like?

Local radio as we know it is in its last years and our stations need a major overhaul.

At least 3fm have taken a step with their new second station.

Maybe you want to look at the latest survey which had over 1000 respondents on the island . Shows half of adults listen to live radio everyday . And the main reason is to listen to the news which puts into the question the theory of some that everyone just do it all online ! 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, IOM said:

Maybe you want to look at the latest survey which had over 1000 respondents on the island . Shows half of adults listen to live radio everyday . And the main reason is to listen to the news which puts into the question the theory of some that everyone just do it all online ! 

What?  What’s people’s issue with understanding what they read on here?

Why are quit quoting a post where I ask who listens to local radio and telling me people listen to live radio?  They are two different things.

I have live radio on in the background as I type, but it’s not local dross radio.  I think you need to read the post you quoted again and understand it better.

If I had filled in that survey, I would have been one of the adults saying I listen to live radio everyday.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Yes, you're right. Manx Radio's biggest audience spike is for the news. Yet they can't even get that right and play to their audience. The MR news bulletins are cheap as chips and over in three minutes. The syndicated news from some generic U.K. media outlet is awful and usually ends with a 'cat rescue' story.

This never used to be the case and I can remember when the station put out some decent news and current affairs. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What?  What’s people’s issue with understanding what they read on here?

Why are quit quoting a post where I ask who listens to local radio and telling me people listen to live radio?  They are two different things.

I have live radio on in the background as I type, but it’s not local dross radio.  I think you need to read the post you quoted again and understand it better.

If I had filled in that survey, I would have been one of the adults saying I listen to live radio everyday.

Sorry you have written posts earlier where you have said nobody listens to the radio these days they set up their own lists on Spotify ! And in your most recent post you said “ who listens to local radio “ well I suggest you read the Cura report and you might be enlightened! 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

Sorry you have written posts earlier where you have said nobody listens to the radio these days they set up their own lists on Spotify ! And in your most recent post you said “ who listens to local radio “ well I suggest you read the Cura report and you might be enlightened! 

What’s the demographic of the people sampled?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Why does it matter? An ear is an ear. 

Because it’s relevant to a conversation about if local radio has to adapt to survive, if all or even a vast majority of their listeners are old then they need to adapt quickly.

If lots of them are under 40, then less so.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What’s the demographic of the people sampled?

Like I said read the report it’s all outlined under a large section called methodology! Sometimes it’s better to use data gathered from real respondents in a professional manner than just working on your own biased sample of one ! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Like I said read the report it’s all outlined under a large section called methodology! Sometimes it’s better to use data gathered from real respondents in a professional manner than just working on your own biased sample of one ! 

Care to do a link, because I have had a Quick Look and can’t find it.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

Thanks

No time to read that now but as expected half of those listening to local radio are 55 or over, which would back up the assumption that if they don’t change what they are doing to attract younger listeners, then I’m not too long a timeframe local radio simply won’t be sustainable.

Will read properly later.  Thanks for the link

Also.  12 percent of those who listen to local radio answered “none of the above” for the three local stations, which suggests they still listen to the local station from where they used to live.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Thanks

No time to read that now but as expected half of those listening to local radio are 55 or over, which would back up the assumption that if they don’t change what they are doing to attract younger listeners, then I’m not too long a timeframe local radio simply won’t be sustainable.

Will read properly later.  Thanks for the link

Also.  12 percent of those who listen to local radio answered “none of the above” for the three local stations, which suggests they still listen to the local station from where they used to live.

"Of those respondents who listen to local radio, 37% are aged between 35-54 years old. Almost half are over 55 years old with 25% of listeners being 55-64 years old and 24% over 65 years old."

So old people...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IOM said:

So as quoted above, it is what we all know, really old people listen to local Radio, which Radio station do you work for, so we can assess your bias?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So, if you think that 35-55 year olds are really old, you need to adjust your lifestyle if you wish to get into your 80's.

No one said 35-55 is 'really old' buit most local radio listeners are really old.

Why would anyone want to get their 80's and be a burden to the rest of us?

Edited by HiVibes
  • Like 1