Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Nice idea.  I can’t see how it would work though.

Facebook would just end up full of rave review for the noodle and pasta places because of their huge portions, and slagging off the businesses that serve quality meat because they only got a mouthful.

It comes down to what exactly is the food festival for?

You seem to be (i might be wrong) suggesting the point of the food festival is the profit line of the individual traders at the festival at that time, whereas I think it should be to showcase the products of the Island and the individual traders. Money should be made, but the point of it (in my view) is advertising, for making money in the future.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Who distributes the profits to the stall holders?  Does the one who served 10,000 tins get more than the one who dod 50?

The tins, sourced by the organisers, are part of your entry fee. There would be wash stations, they are reusable. Like a branded glass at a beer festival. You're still paying the individual traders for their product.

I didn't go this year, but have been in the past (helped set it up twice, once at the nunnery, once at the villa). A little sample of cheese from the dairy, a tiny sliver of Close Leece salami, an individual piece of fried plantain from Taste of Africa, the free samples aren't enough, but at the same time I don't want to go and only eat the £8 lamb burger you suggest above. I want a bit from here, a bit from there. It's a food festival, so I would want to eat lots of different types of food. I am suggesting a way of doing that. 

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 6

Had to smile when the youngsters did their vigil. When they finished with his bearing etc Harry looked like a squaddie whereas William looked like a civvy in uniform. You know, like Watterson...

Some worthies from the hoi polloi are invited to the service. I was pleased to see the invites read:

Dress: Full Ceremonial Day Dress (NO SWORDS)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is the closest I could get to a ridiculous mark of respect. That, and I’m also going to wear purple tights all day today (no picture of that tho - too scary) 

The top picture is how it was supposed to look. I have some way to go…

ETA - in my defence, I have no bakers tools so had to use a trowel to smooth around the outside  

D1DDBA24-681C-4353-B369-32E14C8043E9.jpeg

52671309-3AE4-4BCF-930C-D59FA5ED5352.jpeg

Don't take up plastering! (Sure it tastes lovely.)

38 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Someone whingeing on FB that hardly anyone clapped.  Not sure what part of a minute's silence was hard to understand really. 

There was some muppet opposite my house banging pots and pans at 8pm for the silence. 

It was like being back in lockdown with all the loons trying to out do each other.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

There was some muppet opposite my house banging pots and pans at 8pm for the silence. 

It was like being back in lockdown with all the loons trying to out do each other.

Never, ever, underestimate the fuckwit factor....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1