Climate Change Progress Report

Moghrey Mie

31 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I fully agree. The speed we enact these crazy new laws with no information or alternatives, like the boiler ban.  Or the incredible costs of buying electric vehicles and the inability for the less well off to charge them if never considered.  The wealthier offer buying second hand EVs and charge them in public areas as a solution.  It's not an option for the majority.

Unfortunately not everyone could or can afford electric heat pumps or electric vehicles. If you listen to IOMG, CM Cannan and even its cheerleaders on here, Facebook and social media, islanders are awash with money and the island is booming. Pleading poverty doesn’t cut it with our politicos, who are certainly not understanding or sympathetic. You would of course expect politicos like Joney Faragher and Sarah Maltby MLP MHKS to be understanding and realise constituents financial plight? I would be surprised if they cared, as like Daffy Daffers they are totally physically and mentally absorbed with climate change, and nothing will get in their way. The ends justify the means. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

As we are effectively a part of the UK dealer network for all car manufacturers, it would be crazy to paddle our own canoe on this, as with a lot of thing which we have got involved with!

Lessons must have been learned!!!

That’s unlikely, lessons have never been learned, we keep making the same mistakes over and over again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Banker said:

We’re so small we wouldn’t even register even if we were included which I doubt as we’re not in Uk 

Yes indeed, the point I was making is that we are a minute player but similar to the UK but without heavy industry. The UKs trajectory is downwards, so ours will be also.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes indeed, the point I was making is that we are a minute player but similar to the UK but without heavy industry. The UKs trajectory is downwards, so ours will be also.

Yes, but the truth is that the uk only produces 1% of global greenhouse emissions. So, even the uks downward trend is a drop in the ocean. 

• Like 2

I might be being stupid (I often am) but rather than trying to force us into electric vehicles, would it not be more prudent to firstly begin with how we produce our electricity?

I mean, yes it's great (actually, it's not - see below) if we all use Tesla's and such like, but 50,000 vehicles still need to be charged from a gas fuelled power station.

I'm not convinced about EV's - Lithium is not easily disposed off and limited in it's provenance.

It all feels very 'follow the money' to me ......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As we are regularly told the cheapest, cleanest power is the power we don’t use. At the moment, iom is talking of spending tens of millions on green power to charge evs, power heat pumps, and loads of other green vanity offerings. This is because there is a lot of money in it. That is all. Ideas like making public transport free, geothermal electricity, etc. does not make people in big business and vested interests rich. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 6:09 PM, 2112 said:

You would of course expect politicos like Joney Faragher and Sarah Maltby MLP MHKS to be understanding and realise constituents financial plight? I would be surprised if they cared, as like Daffy Daffers they are totally physically and mentally absorbed with climate change, and nothing will get in their way. The ends justify the means. 

Well, that and they are all getting paid £65k+ and from families who are 'comfortable'.  

Being green isn't for the poor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well, that and they are all getting paid £65k+ and from families who are 'comfortable'.  

However, many ,'poor' families are the greenest through necessity because they cannot afford the luxuries such as cars nor can they afford the basic things such as power nor buying new things such as fashion items or image stuff because they just can't afford them.

Therefore by default they are relatively, 'green' ? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

However, many ,'poor' families are the greenest through necessity because they cannot afford the luxuries such as cars nor can they afford the basic things such as power nor buying new things such as fashion items or image stuff because they just can't afford them.

Therefore by default they are relatively, 'green' ? 

Interesting point.  By default we assume that someone who is 'green' has an EV, solar panels, heat pump, recycles etc.  However they'll probably have a house full of unecessaries, multiple holidays, throw away fashion.  When it is in fact the frugal who will have the least impact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I feel that going green is curing the conscience of the wealthy, middle and chattering classes, who have the money to afford retrofitting their homes, swapping their diesel car for a Tesla, installing solar panels on the roof. The ones this will really affect are the JAMs, the deserving and undeserving poor, the elderly and the infirm. 

Yes, well observed that some of our politicos are part of the Manx Worthies Establishment, the great and the good and some related to previous serving politicos, who had positions of responsibility. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

firstly begin with how we produce our electricity?

That was the FUNDAMENTAL question that should have been considered by anyone with a functioning braincell when this whole fiasco was foisted upon us.

Bear in mind the intellects we were having to deal with at the time: Blair, Brown, Milliband plus the trendy eco-loons that were gaining places at governmental and international tables of influence.  Latterly we have the libdem Tories joining the fray: Debden, May, Johnson, Skidmore and the entire WEF cabal.

If you are going to introduce any system that requires a power source the first thing you address is what is the source going to be.  After deciding the source the logic then proceeds to follow-on questions: how is the power supplied and the cruncher: do we actually have any?

• Like 2