Can the IOM be more independent ?

Apple

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes. Two aircraft carriers, floating, but not working. Huge mechanical problems. They keep breaking down. Prince of Wales can’t even make it round the IoW and back from Portsmouth. Plus, they don’t actually have planes to fly off them yet.

Minor teething problems.😫

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

We already levy our own income tax. How could we reclaim vat on things bought on line. 

Well, we can go the whole hog and levy our own customs duties and VAT or sales or purchase tax on everything coming in - allowing UK/EU suppliers to sell VAT free to IoM residents. 

Lots won’t supply on that basis and it’s expensive for IoM to do that solo,  or we can enter/stay in a single market and customs Union with a single VAT system. 

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well, we can go the whole hog and levy our own customs duties and VAT or sales or purchase tax on everything coming in - allowing UK/EU suppliers to sell VAT free to IoM residents. 

Lots won’t supply on that basis and it’s expensive for IoM to do that solo,  or we can enter/stay in a single market and customs Union with a single VAT system. 

Do you think the UK would be keen to keep this little relationship with us ( the common purse) if we were to achieve independence? 

I wouldn't be too optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Do you think the UK would be keen to keep this little relationship with us ( the common purse) if we were to achieve independence? 

I wouldn't be too optimistic. 

Perhaps we negotiate a deal with Ireland ( by then United ) or Scotland ( by then independent ) and both in the EU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

And be part of the schengen area. Winters in Spain again. Yippee

We won’t know unless we explore the options. Which is the only point I came on this thread to make, only to be told I can’t be trusted to tie my own shoe laces.

Fortunately I’ve got Schengen options, if I wanted to be away 90+ days at once. As it happens, I don’t. I’m not like George, my dad, who, into his 80’s wandered around Europe all winter, and often in the summer, in his mini motorhome, including North Africa.

No mobile phones. Just a phone call a week before he left to meet and collect his house keys and a cheque book of signed cheques, and then a reverse charge call from Dover to say he’d be home in 24 hours and to request I put on the heating and filled the fridge.

In 20 years of doing that there were only two “problems”. He went away, one year,  in April, May my sister told me she was expecting and getting married. Set the date in September. Fingers crossed he’d be back in time. He was, with 7 days to spare.  The other was, aged 78 he was sideswiped, moho damaged and he spent a couple weeks in a hotel, before ringing. We booked him flights home, then I sorted out the insurers and recovery services and got the van repaired. A couple months later he flew out, collected the van and carried on from where he had left off.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Benefits of independence would be the freedom to hang nonces, rapists and murderers, so it's not all bad.

To avoid the risk of the rabid right, hang ‘em high and flog ‘em brigade implementing any such policies we’d definitely need to be in the ECHR and EU. 

Not sure I want to live in a pariah state.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We won’t know unless we explore the options.

Exactly. Where does the debate start - presumably politically in HoK ?

A separate agreement with the free travel area would be more than welcome and I can't see it being detrimental to the UK. Or did I miss a point. 

9 minutes ago, Apple said:

Exactly. Where does the debate start - presumably politically in HoK ?

A separate agreement with the free travel area would be more than welcome and I can't see it being detrimental to the UK. Or did I miss a point. 

Its not just a politicians only debate. Extra parliamentary debate is good. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

ts not just a politicians only debate. Extra parliamentary debate is good. 

Public Consultation, or make it an issue of the next general election. One can only hope.

• Like 2