Can the IOM be more independent ?

Apple

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It was nothing to do with that. There was no choice. The British army could not have defended the CIs. It would have been a massive strategic error and maybe cost Britain the war. It was a calculated strategy. Perhaps a terrible decision to have to make. The people if the CIs generally accept this and they just sat tight during their occupation. They didn't do too bad and ultimately they got their freedom back as a result of that strategy. 

Possibly so but its likely the same would be so here unless we had sold Jurby Airfield to Putin.

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Just the phrase "Hanging nonces" tells me there is no debate to be had. 

Tbf if the counter argument is 'rehabilitation' of paedophiles and sexual predators then there really is no debate to be had. 

Hang them from a rope or bullet between the ears. The result is a permanent fix for a scourge on society.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Hang them from a rope or bullet between the ears. The result is a permanent fix for a scourge on society.

Should I risk a ban....?

No, not worth it.

You are right Gladys.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Be aware of this.

The IOM suffers from delusions of "Statehood" that have already cost everyone dear. I'm talking here about the CS/PS grading and therefore salary, lump sum and pension nonsense where those in post get renumerated on the same scale as their UK counterpart despite the fact that there's nothing like the scale of responsibilities to justify it. And there's 10,000 of them...

Move it up a level?

Don't think so....

I'm just wondering if a move towards independence would be an opportunity to slim the Gov. and to streamline the CS because I can't see that the governing of the island as an affiliated jurisdiction with say a united Eire and association with the EU would require any more management than it does now.

If the governing elite reviewed their delusions of grandeur on the world stage and settled into the role of a small, (very), jurisdiction on the periphery of two larger islands with a few unique attractions that does not require such over government we may be a lot better off.

Just the musings of an old man who cannot understand how the island has got into this horrendous mess, or the mindset of the ruling group who believe that we need such over control.....weird indeed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:
3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Be aware of this.

The IOM suffers from delusions of "Statehood" that have already cost everyone dear. I'm talking here about the CS/PS grading and therefore salary, lump sum and pension nonsense where those in post get renumerated on the same scale as their UK counterpart despite the fact that there's nothing like the scale of responsibilities to justify it. And there's 10,000 of them...

Move it up a level?

Don't think so....

Expand  

I'm just wondering if a move towards independence would be an opportunity to slim the Gov. and to streamline the CS because I can't see that the governing of the island as an affiliated jurisdiction with say a united Eire and association with the EU would require any more management than it does now.

Any move towards independence would mean more CS bloat and not less. The cost alone would probably scupper any independence.

On the flip side turning Government House into a night shelter has a nice vibe to it. 

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

If the governing elite reviewed their delusions of grandeur on the world stage and settled into the role of a small, (very), jurisdiction on the periphery of two larger islands with a few unique attractions that does not require such over government we may be a lot better off.

Just the musings of an old man who cannot understand how the island has got into this horrendous mess, or the mindset of the ruling group who believe that we need such over control.....weird indeed.

It is actually an argument for less independence.  Reduce the independence and assimilate into the UK CS system. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Tbf if the counter argument is 'rehabilitation' of paedophiles and sexual predators then there really is no debate to be had. 

Do you live in the Strang? Another individual with strong views, shall we say,  on other people's behaviour, but pretty unable to control their own.

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do you live in the Strang? Another individual with strong views, shall we say,  on other people's behaviour, but pretty unable to control their own.

No I don't live there. But thanks for asking. 

Perfectly able to control my own behaviour, what a strange view you have. 

• Like 1

Our independence, such as it is at present carries few advantages as far as I can see. Mainly because our politicos and senior civil servants are not far sighted or radical to use it or develop it in any meaningful way.

We basically use it to make rich people richer and very little else. Our independence is basically a very expensive illusion. You only need to look at the cringeworthy bowing and scraping that went on following the Queen's death to see that.

IMHO as far as our constitutional arrangements with the UK are concerned we either need to piss or get off the pot. We either need to become more independent or give up on the faux independence we currently have.

I firmly believe there would be many benefits to the Island in increasing our independence significantly, unfortunately I think it's very unlikely our middle of the road, unimaginative and very well remunerated Government will agree. 

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

Just the phrase "Hanging nonces" tells me there is no debate to be had. 

If every country in the world had to forgo independence because an attention seeking dickhead lived there then there would be no independent countries at all.

I think the fact that so many people seem very scared and become irrational at the prospect of even allowing a debate to be had is indicative of the importance of having one.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

No I don't live there. But thanks for asking. 

Perfectly able to control my own behaviour, what a strange view you have. 

Not really when you happen across the kind of view you have expressed.  Absolutely no sympathy for paedophiles.  Quite the reverse.  But I do have a great deal of interest in trying to understand why (to prevent) and also in ensuring proper justice, for all involved, victims included. 

I don't agree with the hang 'em high mob, that just deals with one offender, not the underlying reason why.

That said, that absolute c*nt who had the temerity to appeal his sentence after being found guilty, twice, of abusing vulnerable children whilst in his care can rot AFAIAC. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not really when you happen across the kind of view you have expressed.  Absolutely no sympathy for paedophiles.  Quite the reverse.  But I do have a great deal of interest in trying to understand why (to prevent) and also in ensuring proper justice, for all involved, victims included. 

I don't agree with the hang 'em high mob, that just deals with one offender, not the underlying reason why.

That said, that absolute c*nt who had the temerity to appeal his sentence after being found guilty, twice, of abusing vulnerable children whilst in his care can rot AFAIAC. 

Very true indeed, there's an awful lot of people out there with paedophile leanings by the looks of it, probably even more fighting their inclination, should they also be shot or hung?  The only way to tackle it is to understand it, and that may be an unpleasant thought for some people who are hard of thinking. I think it's been established by some experts that paedophiles can not be rehabilitated? Surely then the answer is to prevent them from acting on their urges somehow? Without proper research, this would be impossible, except for the 'string 'em up' brigade.  

What annoys me is when a 16yr old is convicted under the legislation for sleeping with a 15yr old for example, as that's the only option open to the judges, it ruins lives.

• Like 2