smart meters

Hoops

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I checked with 'She' earlier and she confirmed what I thought..... that a property we occupied for 23 years had the same meter installed from the start of our occupancy until the day we left. So someone has screwed up if the meter was supposed to have been changed.

Same here, mine managed 30 odd years and lots of the ones at work only recently changed were possibly up 50 years old!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Quite useful to see what stuff burns the most kWhs

It is not too significant if you do not use the data to reduce consumption. Even without such a device I know that the electric oven and the washing machine are about the only things in the kw range that I use, but I'm not going to cook a chicken for half the recommended time just to save the planet. I could give up using the washing machine though. If anyone complains I can say I'm doing it for you.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Smart meters are very common across Europe & there doesn’t seem to be any real issues with them, they provide a detailed breakdown of usage so you can see where peaks are 

does it matter ?  who with a smart meter goes around turning their fridge or freezer off for a few hours or anything else to use less ?  who cares, we all use what we use, whether we use more at dinner time than we do at 3 am isn't going to make us use less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

does it matter ?  who with a smart meter goes around turning their fridge or freezer off for a few hours or anything else to use less ?  who cares, we all use what we use, whether we use more at dinner time than we do at 3 am isn't going to make us use less.

Maybe not but the idea is to charge you more for the privilege.

• Sad 1

Whatever the reason for changing the meters is, it is certainly not for the benefit of the people. I mean, how many people are really going to cut back on electricity? It is ridiculous. I have heard stories of people wanting to spend £100 on an air fryer, because it uses less electricity than an oven. £100 buys a lot of electricity. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Whatever the reason for changing the meters is, it is certainly not for the benefit of the people. I mean, how many people are really going to cut back on electricity? It is ridiculous. I have heard stories of people wanting to spend £100 on an air fryer, because it uses less electricity than an oven. £100 buys a lot of electricity. 

No, but it allows identification of draw down by things on standby, it enables dynamic pricing so things can be switched on at times of overcapacity and low demand.

End of the day it’s for the benefit of us all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, but it allows identification of draw down by things on standby,

Standby consumption on things I use is negligible.

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

it enables dynamic pricing so things can be switched on at times of overcapacity and low demand.

Dynamic pricing works both ways e.g. people trying to book with Easyjet during covid were not too happy. There will still be unavoidable peaks at certain times - there is no point in cooking the chicken at 2am.

And no doubt people will install batteries in their garage to store cheap electricity in the early hours, the electricity companies will respond by making the early hours  the most expensive, and the only people to gain will be the people recruited to be Chief Dynamic Pricing Officer of the electricity company.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

If electricity meters are replaced every 10 years or so (because they need to be), and given the probable age of the average Manx Forumer, there must be some here who have experienced more than one meter change.

20 years.  But yes some meters are much older than that. I don't think the MEA actually changed them at 20 years but the point is, when they need changing, change them to a smart meter. That makes sense. 

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

20 years.  But yes some meters are much older than that. I don't think the MEA actually changed them at 20 years but the point is, when they need changing, change them to a smart meter. That makes sense. 

But why, if that smart meter then needs changing every ten years.  Let's buy something more expensive that doesn't last as long, said no one ever.

• Like 4