Oscars 2023

21 hours ago, John Wright said:

Without these types of statements, by nominees, winners, members of the Academy, and, importantly, outsiders, the Oscars, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, would be the exclusive club of white, older males.

The protests, over the last few years, have shaken things up. They’ve drawn attention to the disparity in membership of the organisations, the voters, and the identities of the actual film makers and the discrimination against women, ethnic minorities, others.

You seem to think things should just go on with no change, because you’re comfortable with how things are.

How does this speech perpetuate the divisions. The divisions, if any, they might create are as nothing when compared to the pre existing chasms.

You might not read the mail, but your espoused views are, whether you know it or not, aligned with its views, increasingly so. No one expects you to apologise. But you need to admit it to your self. And if I have to be labelled, by you, as pompous, for trying to open your eyes, so be it.

Claiming to be the VoR is something only a mail reader or one who thinks they represent middle England would do. It’s the antithesis of truth. An oxymoron.

People need to be aware of the lack of diversity in the arts etc. It's the same in the music business apparently. 2.8% producers are women. And wasn't dance rather white until Ballet Rambert and Alvin Ailey changed things?

28 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

People need to be aware of the lack of diversity in the arts etc. It's the same in the music business apparently. 2.8% producers are women. And wasn't dance rather white until Ballet Rambert and Alvin Ailey changed things?

I’ve not heard  of Ballet Rambert and Alvin Ailey, dance is  not  a genre I am familiar with. Yes let’s have more female music producers

At the risk of having all sort of shit thrown upon my head, is reggae not generally more liked, or listened to by people of African origin than the white population?

That said I was introduced to it by the Virgin sampler “ the Front Line” in my teens, A tie  up with the NME if I remember correctly which led me into a whole new world of music which I still enjoy today.

Conversely I would imagine that the heavy metal fan is largely, but not exclusively of white colour.

But there’s nothing wrong with that. Everything evolves. Look at how UK cuisine for example has benefited from the introduction of different cultures  ( Chinese, Indian, even Italian) through the decades. No doubt someone will pop up and say the food is nothing like the indigenous population of these countries eat. But that really is an irrelevance, we are all the better for that.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not a troll but would like to think I’m an ok person.

As for disappearing pretty quickly in a “ conversation “  I have a policy of not responding to insults or abuse which may explain why you feel that.
I must confess sometimes I can’t resist but I try my best to be consistent.

No one is insulting or abusing you. You usually say things that are ridiculous and then get shot down with actual facts.

If the kind of views you are posting on here are your general thoughts, then it's possible you're not an "ok person".  To even mention the fact that she was happy to be the first Asian person to win the award and hopes it inspires others as something you shouldn't have said, takes a special kind of person. 

11 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I saw her referred to as the 'first person who identifies as Asian to win an award'.  It's a bizzare world we live in now, surely you are either of Asian (descent) or not?

I think there was a lady from the golden age of cinema (like the 30s or something) who won an oscar who was asian, but because of the times she tried very hard not to be seen as one and that is why. Could be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I think there was a lady from the golden age of cinema (like the 30s or something) who won an oscar who was asian, but because of the times she tried very hard not to be seen as one and that is why. Could be wrong though.

Olivia de Havaland and Joan Fontaine (they were sisters) were born in Japan but were British citizens of European heritage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

Olivia de Havaland and Joan Fontaine (they were sisters) were born in Japan but were British citizens of European heritage.

Oh it could be, Fontaine rings a bell. There was another actress who had a indian background and an even crazier back story, Merle something, maybe I've got them mixed up.

4 hours ago, jackwhite said:

No one is insulting or abusing you. You usually say things that are ridiculous and then get shot down with actual facts.

If the kind of views you are posting on here are your general thoughts, then it's possible you're not an "ok person".  To even mention the fact that she was happy to be the first Asian person to win the award and hopes it inspires others as something you shouldn't have said, takes a special kind of person. 

Er no

There is no insults or abuse in this case. I was referring generally to my posts when you say I “ disappear”.

You may enjoy a slanging match ( there is plenty of evidence on here of that) but it’s not for me.

Re this case I was questioning why the lady Oscar winner felt the need to bring up her skin colour / ethnicity. It just perpetuates divisions. I don’t believe it serves any purpose.

Her win should inspire all types to be good actors not just those of a particular race. Is that so ridiculous?

Edited by The Voice of Reason