Oscars 2023

I’m not really a film person but there was a segment on the news today about Michelle Yeoh winning an Oscar.

Well done, fair play to her but in her acceptance she talked about all the little boys and girls “ who looked like her” ( I believe she is Asian ) about fulfilling their dream. 

I am getting a little tired of people referencing their race, colour, religion etc when accepting these rewards ( be it films ,sports or any other category of entertainment) when really all they have to do is be gracious about winning the award for their performance.

It’s not helpful.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not really a film person but there was a segment on the news today about Michelle Yeoh winning an Oscar.

Well done, fair play to her but in her acceptance she talked about all the little boys and girls “ who looked like her” ( I believe she is Asian ) about fulfilling their dream. 

I am getting a little tired of people referencing their race, colour, religion etc when accepting these rewards ( be it films ,sports or any other category of entertainment) when really all they have to do is be gracious about winning the award for their performance.

It’s not helpful.

It’s incredibly helpful, and affirming, and giving of hope, role models, etc, if you belong to a minority diverse group.

She was gracious.

She was the first Asian best actress winner.  The first Malay to win any Oscar. And only the second woman of colour, ie non white, Caucasian, to win the Best Actress Oscar.

Shes right to be proud, and to shout it from the roof tops.

You're turning more Mail/Telegraph/Gammon by the post.

There’s nothing reasonable in any of your last thousand posts.

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s incredibly helpful, and affirming, and giving of hope, role models, etc, if you belong to a minority diverse group.

She was gracious.

She was the first Asian best actress winner.  The first Malay to win any Oscar. And only the second woman of colour, ie non white, Caucasian, to win the Best Actress Oscar.

Shes right to be proud, and to shout it from the roof tops.

You're turning more Mail/Telegraph/Gammon by the post.

There’s nothing reasonable in any of your last thousand posts.

Yes sh is right to be proud. Proud of her performance but why bring her ethnicity into it.

I would maintain that these type of acceptance speeches perpetuate divisions rather than heal them. But you are entitled to your opinion. 

Nothing reasonable in my last thousand posts?

I wouldn’t touch the Mail with a barge pole but I have on occasion taken the Telegraph, the i ( since the demise of the Indpendent) and the Times. 
I’m not going to apologise for that.

Oh and you’ve turned into a pompous ass. If you never were one!

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of first and Last paragraph

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes sh is right to be proud. Proud of her performance but why bring her ethnicity into it.

I would maintain that these type of acceptance speeches perpetuate divisions rather than heal them. But you are entitled to your opinion. 

Nothing reasonable in my last thousand posts?

I wouldn’t touch the Mail with a barge pole but I have on occasion taken the Telegraph, the i ( since the demise of the Indpendent) and the Times. 
I’m not going to apologise for that.

Oh and you’ve turned into a pompous ass. If you never were one!

Without these types of statements, by nominees, winners, members of the Academy, and, importantly, outsiders, the Oscars, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, would be the exclusive club of white, older males.

The protests, over the last few years, have shaken things up. They’ve drawn attention to the disparity in membership of the organisations, the voters, and the identities of the actual film makers and the discrimination against women, ethnic minorities, others.

You seem to think things should just go on with no change, because you’re comfortable with how things are.

How does this speech perpetuate the divisions. The divisions, if any, they might create are as nothing when compared to the pre existing chasms.

You might not read the mail, but your espoused views are, whether you know it or not, aligned with its views, increasingly so. No one expects you to apologise. But you need to admit it to your self. And if I have to be labelled, by you, as pompous, for trying to open your eyes, so be it.

Claiming to be the VoR is something only a mail reader or one who thinks they represent middle England would do. It’s the antithesis of truth. An oxymoron.

8 hours ago, John Wright said:

Without these types of statements, by nominees, winners, members of the Academy, and, importantly, outsiders, the Oscars, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, would be the exclusive club of white, older males.

The protests, over the last few years, have shaken things up. They’ve drawn attention to the disparity in membership of the organisations, the voters, and the identities of the actual film makers and the discrimination against women, ethnic minorities, others.

You seem to think things should just go on with no change, because you’re comfortable with how things are.

How does this speech perpetuate the divisions. The divisions, if any, they might create are as nothing when compared to the pre existing chasms.

You might not read the mail, but your espoused views are, whether you know it or not, aligned with its views, increasingly so. No one expects you to apologise. But you need to admit it to your self. And if I have to be labelled, by you, as pompous, for trying to open your eyes, so be it.

Claiming to be the VoR is something only a mail reader or one who thinks they represent middle England would do. It’s the antithesis of truth. An oxymoron.

I just prefer to see past the colour of a persons skin. Not make a big issue out of it.

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I’m not. I’m commenting on those that do.

And by doing that you are choosing to make it an issue. 

If you grow up in a minority group, with no serious role models from your ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc. this type of affirmation is incredibly important to you and others in your group.

It doesn’t impinge on you.

Ask yourself why you feel the need to comment in negative terms. It’s your conscious, or subconscious, bias showing through 

I saw her referred to as the 'first person who identifies as Asian to win an award'.  It's a bizzare world we live in now, surely you are either of Asian (descent) or not?

Also I noticed they refused to give Zelensky an award because they didn't want to politicize the event (it would have been virtue signaling anyway).  But then give an award out for a film about the Russian politician Navalny! 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I saw her referred to as the 'first person who identifies as Asian to win an award'.  It's a bizzare world we live in now, surely you are either of Asian (descent) or not?

Oh dear. You’ve done it now.

How long before someone is going to pop up and call you a Daily Mail reader?

Minor amendment

When will the BBC and Royals sack whoever we order them to? By the Daily Mail

10th March 2023

daily-mail-2-2.jpg

ALREADY King Charles III has defied our wishes by inviting his own son to his coronation. Now the BBC refuses to sack Gary Lineker. When will they learn?

Do these institutions believe themselves bigger than us? Ludicrous. We are not just a newspaper read by right-wing homeowners. We are the voice of the people and the true rulers of Britain.

Perhaps these pitiables believe our moral authority eroded.  By Theresa May, our new Iron Lady. By Boris, our new Churchill. By Liz Truss, who we proclaimed the woman of the hour.

No. Those minor errors, like the 1934 pro-fascism editorial ‘Hurrah for the Blackshirts!’ by our chairman’s great-grandfather, stem from nothing more than an excess of patriotism.

But, though we have made our views clear, the King has ignored us. We have advised him repeatedly that his son, who coincidentally is suing us but that has nothing to do with anything, is no longer part of his family.

We have stated in no uncertain terms that he and his vortex-of-evil wife must not attend the coronation. That it would ruin it for Britain if he did. But that disrespectful prick Charlie invites him regardless.

And now? All we’re asking for is the summary dismissal of a much-loved sports presenter on the grounds of holding political views, which does actually sound a bit like Nazi Germany. But, cowed by employment law and so-called popular opinion, the BBC has refused.

Do they think they can get away with this? When our editor will soon be a Lord? We will get our way. Even if Britain becomes an impoverished, backward island living in fear and suspicion. We will get our way. And Charles and the BBC will pay for their insolence.

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Oh dear. You’ve done it now.

How long before someone is going to pop up and call you a Daily Mail reader?

Why do you do this on every thread you post on?

You're either not a very nice person or you're an absolutely incredible troll. 

You also disappear pretty quickly in a conversation when you're inevitably proven wrong. 

She is absolutely correct to highlight she's the first Asian to win the award. The Oscars has notoriously had racism issues even in the recent past so there really isn't a better platform to highlight this, given that and the extremely high profile nature of the event.

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Why do you do this on every thread you post on?

You're either not a very nice person or you're an absolutely incredible troll. 

You also disappear pretty quickly in a conversation when you're inevitably proven wrong. 

She is absolutely correct to highlight she's the first Asian to win the award. The Oscars has notoriously had racism issues even in the recent past so there really isn't a better platform to highlight this, given that and the extremely high profile nature of the event.

I’m not a troll but would like to think I’m an ok person.

As for disappearing pretty quickly in a “ conversation “  I have a policy of not responding to insults or abuse which may explain why you feel that.
I must confess sometimes I can’t resist but I try my best to be consistent.

• Like 1