Why we should be paying more attention to seaweed?

Roxanne

31 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Billions?

Mr Doumeizel, who is based in France, also co-leads the Global Seaweed Coalition, which seeks to accelerate and grow what is already the world's fastest growing food sector, with a current value of over £7 billion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Billions?

Considering they can't run an abattoir which is the type of business that has literally been around for centuries, what makes anyone think this lot could run a new business that would require brand new infrastructure and processes on the island?

For a start, there will be environmental impact such as fish and other aquatic wildlife using the new habitat only to have it mown down at some point. And water quality isn't great as windsurfers are apt to remind us. Not to mention the occasional gift from Beauforts Dyke and heavy metal run off from the mine tailings.

And unless you have the local market for consumption of the product then there is the whole transportation off island cost issue which will eat up any nominal profits.

And then there is the weather to contend with. Commercial fishing is one of the most dangerous industries out there even when they get to choose when to put to sea and can sit out the worst. Few places on our coastline where its sheltered enough and not going to interfere with other maritime operations such as fishing, recreation and transport. 

Ireland have an established industry and the types of sheltered shallow bays ideal for this who we'd be in direct comeption with.

https://www.seaweed.ie/uses_ireland/index.php

But I'm sure our great and glorious leaders will spend millions on consultations and fact finding trips to Bali to discover it is not viable.

Yeah, but apart from that? :)

Edited by Roxanne
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Considering they can't run an abattoir which is the type of business that has literally been around for centuries, what makes anyone think this lot could run a new business that would require brand new infrastructure and processes on the island?

Does it need to be government led? I mean, heaven forbid, but this guy is saying that there's money to be made and we have a problem with seaweed. Perhaps there is some enterprising individual that may be prepared to investigate further?

Not me, I'm too busy sorting out diggers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Mr Doumeizel, who is based in France, also co-leads the Global Seaweed Coalition, which seeks to accelerate and grow what is already the world's fastest growing food sector, with a current value of over £7 billion.

Attended WEF event under previous name of Safe Seaweed Coalition, so they'll be reet then.

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

Someone tried this about 30 years ago, I remember having a kelp biscuit from a stall on the promenade. I imagine some of the west coast seaweed would be edible?  Aren't there a myriad of medical uses for seaweed?

2 hours ago, philwebs said:

Yes, farmed for Carrageen which is in a lot of products. was done in Port Erin, possibly the marine research Station. got nowhere, no interest. Note caregeen can cause intestinal issues.

The seaweed on the beach needs de-salting before applying to the land. It is hard work, salt rots the machinery. Not much in the way of farming for this to be used. No real interest.

Seaweed farming happens elsewhere in the world, and the island imports any finished product. Usual story.

The guys who ran the Turbot hatchery at Derbyhaven also diversified into kelp farming and produced crisps from it.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

The guys who ran the Turbot hatchery at Derbyhaven also diversified into kelp farming and produced crisps from it.

I remember the turbot hatchery, fascinating place (excuse fishy pun).  It was heralded as a huge success and the way forward for our great little nation.  Sadly it went into the big pie in the sky.

If a private company would take an interest it would be great but anything the Government touches is lethal .    The sea weed from Douglas was used as fertilizer for many years by farmers I have seen pictures of them with their carts collecting it and it certainly wasn’t too salty then and probably far healthier than the chemicals that are used nowadays.   Salt in itself is very undervalued.

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

If a private company would take an interest it would be great but anything the Government touches is lethal .    The sea weed from Douglas was used as fertilizer for many years by farmers I have seen pictures of them with their carts collecting it and it certainly wasn’t too salty then and probably far healthier than the chemicals that are used nowadays.   Salt in itself is very undervalued.

Like I said earlier. The bladderwrack around our shores is not suitable for eating. Neither it seems is it suitable as fertilizer. It is full of salt, iodine and heavy metals. It is probably far less healthy than the controlled fertilizers that are used nowadays. Salt may be undervalued, but its not good for applying to the land

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

he bladderwrack around our shores is not suitable for eating. Neither it seems is it suitable as fertilizer

These are your opinions which you are stating as facts.

If you want them to be taken seriously then please provide some evidence,

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

These are your opinions which you are stating as facts.

If you want them to be taken seriously then please provide some evidence,

Fair comment

I am quoting facts and knowledge. Its not the Bladderwrack itself that it the issue its what it takes up from the sea. Our seas are not great. They are polluted and species like Bladderwrack concentrate up the contaminants. I reckon it could be used in small quantities but its never going to be a significant food source for us

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bladderwrack-benefits

I wouldn't eat an from our beaches that's for sure

I think it's very similar to the whole eating insects thing.  It seems to make sense from an ecological, environmental, economic, health and ethical point of view, but no one seems particularly interested.  I've eaten bugs in a few countries for novelty value, but to be honest I probably wouldn't buy a bag of fried ants here.  Although, I wouldn't be too fussed eating something made from/using powdered bugs. 

The demand just isn't there (in Europe at least) and I think you need to supply the demand, not vice versa.